Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Installing a hard drive...is it hard?

Old 05-20-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Installing a hard drive...is it hard?

I just got a 120 GB hard drive, I'm just wondering how hard they are to install...I'm not a complete computer newb (I installed my DSL board into the comp. just fine) - is there anything I need to know?

I'm installing into a VPR Matrix 6100 w/ an 80 gig hd...operating on XP...

Any info would be good - looking at the instructions is confusing me...is there a possibility of ruining things inside my computer if I set the jumpers wrong, ect.
Old 05-20-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not a huge techie but i've added an 80 gigger to my XP Pro system without a hitch. From what I remember I used the software that came with the HDD (MaxBlast from Maxtor) to format the drive and then upon reboot it added the HDD to the XP inventory. I had the extra step of added a Promise IDE Controller card to the system as well which you may not have to do.

I'm assuming that you can just power down your comp, physically install the HDD on one of the IDE channels, make sure that you have the jumpers set correctly (i'm assuming that if it's a slave then it's less difficult to configure as opposed to wanting to make your 120 gigger the master device) reboot and XP should figure things out.

I'm sure that if one searched the 'Net using terms like "installing a secondary hard drive" you would find what you needed. The archives should also have good info. Good luck.
Old 05-20-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Easiest way, make sure the 120GB hard drive is setup for Cable Select (CS). Connect the 120GB to the free connector on the IDE cable that is connectd to your existing hard drive. Don't forget to plug in the power plug too. The BIOS should auto detect the new drive. Login to XP, open Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Disk Management --> XP will detect a new drive --> create the partition size and format --> done.
Old 05-20-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks!
Old 05-20-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

if you buy a retail packaged hd, they give you a pamphlet on how to install it. should be fairly straight forward.