File Sharing between PC & Mac

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-27-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a file sharing question..

I have a mac g4, and a pc, and finally just got around to picking up a router to network them, and stop having to disconnect/reconnect each to my dsl modem depending on which I wanted.

So the question is, how can you share files between the two.

I followed the help info, and sharing files from the pc, to the mac seems easy enough. Just select the folders and choose share etc.. I am able to connect/mount the files and works well enough.

However, when I try to share files from the mac to the pc, I can't find a similiar method, I can connect to the mac(w a user enabled to login from windows), and see the dirs, but not view/share any files, other than my public dir, but don't want to, or believe I have to move what I want into that folder. I have windows file sharing enabled, is this as good as it gets? I must move the files into the public or shared folder for the user?

Anybody know what I"m talking about, and what the answer is. thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It sounds like you need to get the Mac set up to share. Of course, File Sharing has to be on. But then you also need to share your hard drive (or folders). Click on one of them and choose File|Get Info|Sharing to do that. Check the "file sharing" box.
Old 04-28-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
http://joelshoemaker.com/computer/ma...lesharing.html

This guy has a great site.
Old 04-29-03, 01:57 AM

Originally posted by danw
It sounds like you need to get the Mac set up to share. Of course, File Sharing has to be on. But then you also need to share your hard drive (or folders). Click on one of them and choose File|Get Info|Sharing to do that. Check the "file sharing" box.
Well I already had "personal file sharing" and "windows file sharing" checked under System Prefs->Sharing

When I select a folder and click get info, I see nothing under any of that tabs ie general, name and extensions, preview, ownership & permissions, comments that says anything related to sharing selectable. Am I going blind?

I'm running mac os X.2 if that helps any.
Old 04-29-03, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by BigDaddy
http://joelshoemaker.com/computer/ma...lesharing.html

This guy has a great site.
Hmm.. Well this article is exactly what I had done. It works in that you can connect to the mac, and share the home dir, but I couldn't manage to find a way to share say all folders, or even specific ones unless I posted the docs to users->shared folder specifically.

There is an interesting little article off the side nav about sharing all your files, basically it's links to shareware apps. I think that will do the trick, but I still feel as though I'm missing something, and that it's possible to say share my "music" folder, without having to move this folder under the folder ->users->shared

Has anybody done this? Also, am I simply confused and if/when I move a copy of say my "music" folder under ->users->shared it's not making a copy, simply allowing it to be shared. (so this is actually the correct thing to do?)

Last edited by SpaceBoy; 04-29-03 at 02:09 AM.
Old 04-29-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SpaceBoy
Hmm.. Well this article is exactly what I had done. It works in that you can connect to the mac, and share the home dir, but I couldn't manage to find a way to share say all folders, or even specific ones unless I posted the docs to users->shared folder specifically.
If you only see the shared folder, it might be easiest just to put an alias to your hard drive in there.
Old 04-29-03, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by danw
If you only see the shared folder, it might be easiest just to put an alias to your hard drive in there.
That def isn't going to work. I just decided to selectively move the stuff I wanted to share into a dropbox or whatever they're called under the windows user login account I made. It works, just not want I wanted to do(to have to move files to share them), but oh well it works and that's enough for now.

Decided against downloading the shareware that enables sharing of your entire hd. After looking on the message boards it seems it's still a little flaky even for beta stuff. There are occasions where your computer won't even boot up, get updates etc. I'll give it some time, then pick this up later.

Thanks for the help anyways guys.
Old 04-30-03, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what mac OS and what pc OS are you running?
Old 04-30-03, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by mmconhea
what mac OS and what pc OS are you running?
OH I mentioned it earlier, I'm running 10.2 on the mac, and xp on the pc.