DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   Win XP slowed to a crawl... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/287157-win-xp-slowed-crawl.html)

mee2 04-19-03 12:18 PM

Win XP slowed to a crawl...

Lately it seems as if Win XP has gotten slower and slower. For instance, shutting down takes almost a couple of minutes. Opening applications like IE and Photoshop cause lag, and when i "wake up" the comp from sleep mode i get a blue screen for like 10 seconds before i see the user icons onscreen.

I'm running 512mb on an Athlon XP 2000+ and i've never had this happen until a few days ago. I also check the disk for errors, and defragged it a couple of weeks ago....any suggestions?

Blake 04-19-03 03:14 PM

Try hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL and see which programs are taking up the most system resources. It probably isn't XP, but rather a program that is eating all of your CPU processes and RAM.

FiveO 04-19-03 04:56 PM

Keep your cookies deleted. Same thing happened to me. I would also agree with Blake. I had like 15 things running in the background. Only 3 now. Worked wonders.

zuffy 04-19-03 05:07 PM

Also, if you have ZoneAlarm installed, try to shutdown ZA and restart it.

Jepthah 04-19-03 05:54 PM

This happened to me too for a time, after a certain Windows Update. It went away again on its own. XP does a lot of things in the background and something I think it does sometimes is rearrange system files and program files for faster launching. Something else that might help is to turn off indexing on your HDs in disk management. For me, with an older slower machine and no need for that service, it only bogged me down.

Smangalick 04-19-03 06:11 PM

you might want to scan for spyware too.

i had the same problem, then used Lavasoft's Adaware (freeware) to scan and delete spyware. Went 25% resources being used after a reboot to around 3%.

So definetly scan your system, clean out the spyware, and keep deleting your cookies.

TheKobra 04-19-03 06:58 PM

Mine did the same thing. My bootup is loooooong. There is nothing running the the background. Just don't know what the hell went wrong.

mee2 04-20-03 02:15 AM

Thanks for the info guys!

Einsatz 04-20-03 09:18 AM

If you've got SP1 installed, then the slow-down is not just you... this may be worth a shot:

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenT...6&m=1920958855

YMMV

Jeff Haas 04-20-03 04:42 PM

Google to the rescue!

I ran into the slowdown, too. I tried the fix listed above, but it was actually released earlier than the slowdown bug occurred, and it wasn't the solution.

So, off to Google...I typed in "windows update slowdown" and was linked to this article:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9034

It turns out that one of the recent hotfixes is the cause of the problem. Apparently Microsoft didn't adequately test this before releasing it. Removing it gets rid of the slowdown.

To remove it, go to:

Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs

Scroll down to the bottom and look for Hotfix 811493. Remove it. Reboot.

That should do it. Worked for me.

Jeff

P.S. Cool article about Google in this month's issue of Wired, with the Matrix on the cover.

mee2 04-20-03 09:27 PM

Re: Google to the rescue!

Originally posted by Jeff Haas
I ran into the slowdown, too. I tried the fix listed above, but it was actually released earlier than the slowdown bug occurred, and it wasn't the solution.

So, off to Google...I typed in "windows update slowdown" and was linked to this article:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9034

It turns out that one of the recent hotfixes is the cause of the problem. Apparently Microsoft didn't adequately test this before releasing it. Removing it gets rid of the slowdown.

To remove it, go to:

Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs

Scroll down to the bottom and look for Hotfix 811493. Remove it. Reboot.

That should do it. Worked for me.

Jeff

P.S. Cool article about Google in this month's issue of Wired, with the Matrix on the cover.

Jeff, you are the man!
If you're having the same slowdown in XP i recommend doing what the man says. It worked like a charm!

Jeff Haas 04-21-03 12:52 AM

Glad it worked for you!

Never forget how good Google is at finding tech solutions. Most of the time, it's better than the actual help from whoever made the software.

Jeff

mee2 04-21-03 05:27 PM

What's funny is that a few hours after i uninstalled it, i got a message prompting me to install a new XP "update'' :D

X 04-21-03 05:40 PM

I've been having a really slow logon to my XP machine, but I checked and didn't have this patch installed.

However this thread motivated me to solve the problem which turned out to be an Active Directory/DNS issue. Thanks for getting me inspired to solve it!

Jepthah 04-21-03 09:15 PM

Originally posted by X
I've been having a really slow logon to my XP machine, but I checked and didn't have this patch installed.

However this thread motivated me to solve the problem which turned out to be an Active Directory/DNS issue. Thanks for getting me inspired to solve it!

Can you be more specific, X? My machine is old and I can use all the speed tweaks available. (However my computer is not part of any kind of local network, it's a free agent on broadband.)

X 04-21-03 09:38 PM

If you're not on a network with a Win2K domain controller, what I did probably won't apply to you at all.

It fixed what was a several minute login to take several seconds and was fairly specific to authenticating to the domain controller. If your machine is on its own workgroup it won't have that problem.

Shuki 04-22-03 04:37 AM

just to back Jeff up - http://www.warp2search.net/article.p...thread&order=0

Melencio 07-25-05 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by X
If you're not on a network with a Win2K domain controller, what I did probably won't apply to you at all.

It fixed what was a several minute login to take several seconds and was fairly specific to authenticating to the domain controller. If your machine is on its own workgroup it won't have that problem.

X,

This is definitely the problem that I'm having right now. Time stands still whenever I boot my workstation on my Active Directory network. When it does come back, I check the Event Viewer and see a bunch of error messages pertaining to my domain controller and the DNS server. Can you please tell me what you did to fix your issue?

Thanks!!!

Melencio

X 07-25-05 03:43 PM

I had to look back at the date I posted that to remember what it was that I did.

I have two DCs, handling different domains. I tend to use only one of them for my primary outside DNS resolution. However my XP login was being handled by the other DC since I was logging into its domain.

I found i needed to make the primary DNS server in my TCP/IP network properties the IP of the DC handling that login's domain. Makes sense from an AD point of view.

Melencio 07-25-05 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by X
I found i needed to make the primary DNS server in my TCP/IP network properties the IP of the DC handling that login's domain. Makes sense from an AD point of view.

Since I have everything in just 1 server, does that mean I need to use the IP of my server as the DNS?

X 07-25-05 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Melencio
Since I have everything in just 1 server, does that mean I need to use the IP of my server as the DNS?

If you're running AD, I believe so.