Reload this Page >

Good deals on 802.11g?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Good deals on 802.11g?

Old 02-18-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good deals on 802.11g?

Not sure if I should post this here or in Hot Deals. Mods, feel free to move it. (Like you need permission! )

I'm looking for some sort of 802.11g access point, be it a router, hub, access point, whatever. So long as I can plug it into a regular ethernet network, I'm happy.

And I also need a PCMCIA card to go along with it.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No deal here ...

Just a warning that you really should hold off. This week alone I've seen several articles describing serious problems with 802.11g. Since no official standard was promulgated, interoperability of products by different manufacturers is sketchy at best and totally nonexistent at worst. It reminds me a little of early DVD players; even though standards existed, they were so untested that almost every DVD had a list of players that wouldn't play it correctly.

I recommend waiting until they've standardized.

- David Stein
Old 02-19-03, 02:34 PM

Ditto. I'm not wasting my money until they offer the real deal here. None of this pre draft stuff Linksys is releaseing now. Plus I want a wireless bridge similar to the WET11 for 802.11g, so i'll wait till this summer.
Old 02-19-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got a pair of Buffalo Tech 54G Airstations. I'm running them in bridge mode so I wasn't too concerned about interoperability with other vendors. Buffalo Tech and Belkin are the only two companies selling draft-11g products that actually guarantee their 802.11g products will be fully compatible with the final spec. This will probably be done with a firmware update, but they state that they will replace the units if necessary.

I went with Buffalo since I've been using one of their 11b bridges for a long time. In fact, they were the first vendors to release an affordable 11b bridge. The web interface for their devices is a bit clunky, but I've never had any complaints about their units' functionality.

The Buffalo Tech AP/Bridges run for about $130 and their client cards are about $55. You can find a list of where you can buy them here:

http://www.buffalotech.com/wireless/sales/index.php

If you're already using 11b now and are looking to upgrade, then I'd agree with the others and tell you to just wait for the final draft products come out.

If you're looking to get new units and you trust that Buffalo Tech (which is a division of a rather large Japanese conglomerate) will honor their guarantee, then you may be better off spending a little more now on their 11g products. It's faster than 11b and your compatibility with other 11b devices isn't going to be a problem. The only thing you give up is maybe some compatibility with other 11g devices in the short term.
Old 02-19-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I wasn't aware that 11g wasn't final, yet.

If I use an 11b card with an 11g hub, will I benefit from either the extended range or speed? Or will it work just like it was an 11b setup?

Just wondering.
Old 02-19-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If your client card is 11b only, then it won't make any difference if your AP/bridge is 11b or 11g. It'll work more or less the same with both. That is, the 11g bridge will run in 11b mode to talk to your 11b card.

The Buffalo Tech bridge is actually "Wi-Fi" certified for use in 11b mode.