Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help ... My computer won't see new SDRAM !

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-17-03, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 256M stick Staples for 10 AR but my computer won't see it ...

Ahem, I am still running an old emachine
Celeron 600 Mhz
Window ME
CD-ROM
CD-RW 12x10x24x
I currently have 256M+32M (Centon I believe)
The new one is Kbyte (SDRAM PC133)

Since I only have 2 banks, I replaced the 32M with the Kbyte but the compute only boots up with 256M.

Then I took out both of the Centons and replace with only the Kbyte and my computer just beeps (wont boot).

It's been a while since I played with memory but I remember if it's SDRAM PC133, it should be able to run in my computer.

Since mine is old, I was thinking it is the limit on how much RAM you can put on but when put it the new one only, it did not work (before it see my old 288M no problem).

Any ideas other than return it to Staples ?

Thanks in advance !
Old 02-17-03, 01:35 PM

Look at your owners manual. Some mother boards require 2 identical sticks of RAM. In other words you may have to put two 128 sticks of RAM in the first 2 slots. Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-03, 01:38 PM
Banned

Upgrade to the latest BIOS on your mobo. Strip you system documentation and make sure it is PC133. I think that it is not compatible with your motherboard. But make sure it is not your BIOS.
Old 02-17-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by HerdfanWV
Look at your owners manual. Some mother boards require 2 identical sticks of RAM. In other words you may have to put two 128 sticks of RAM in the first 2 slots. Hope this helps.
He already has a 256 in slot one and is trying to replace the 32 in slot 2 with another 256.

I say try the memory in another computer so you can rule out the stick being bad.
Old 02-17-03, 01:57 PM

I only have 2 slots (sorry if banks confuse you).
I did put 2 256M in there but it only see 256M.
I did put the new 256M stick by itself and the computer won't boot.
Goblincat, I am going my friend afterwork to try the new stick on his computer and will let you guys knows.

Moyam, my system actually PC100 but I think PC133 should work fine (my old 256M is PC133). How do I know the new stick is not compatible with my 600Mhz emachine since everywhere I looked it is SDRAM PC100 or PC133 should be Oked.

Anyway, thanks you guys, keep it coming ... I just wonder if it work in my friend machine then what is the next step !

lpvo

BTW, if any of you interested in, I bought it at Staples yesterday for 40 - 30 MIR = 10. It's a good deal in my book consider I bought my old one a year ago for a good deal at 80.
Old 02-17-03, 02:03 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by HerdfanWV
I hate this ...

Some of the older computers at my work does this. If I stick a 128 and a 32, then it will only read the 128 (doesn't matter which slot the 128 is in). If I use two 128s, then it will read 256. If I use two 32s, then it will read 64.
Old 02-17-03, 02:15 PM

Well, mine is kind of different situation, here is my sumary:

1. old 256M + old 32M = 288M

2. old 256M + new 256M = 256M

3. new 256M = 0 (wont boot)

4. old 256M = 256M

with old is centon and new is kbyte.

Right now, I am hoping for a dead stick, we will find out later today !
Old 02-17-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is this a compaq pc by chance?
Dave
Old 02-17-03, 09:49 PM

It's an Emachine.

Update: I test it at my friend computer which is another emachine, 633 MHz, running WindowXP and got the same result.
I returned it to Staples, they gave me another stick (same branch and size).
I went home and tried it again ... no luck.

Well, my dream of 512M SDRAM will not be acheive for a while ...
I will return it to Staples tomorrow.

FWIW, my original SDRAM was Kingston not Centon as I stated above (but my friend was).

I did notice the new SDRAM (Kbyte) was thinner and smaller the old but the number of pins are the same and I didnot have to force them while install it.

Maybe Emachine does not like Kbytes.

Moyam, I like to try your idea but don't know where to start ... how do I know my mobo need updated ... I dont have the system manual handy but I beleive since it's more than a year old compute so it should be PC100 but I don't think running PC133 would be a problem. In fact, I am running PC133 right as I typed.

Again, thanks you guys but look like I am still wishing for it !