Reload this Page >

Getting online when you're not allowed?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-14-03, 11:44 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, at work the PCs have internet access but not for the web. You can type a URL in any window and it won't connect to anything. I heard the techie guys mentioning blocking port 80 or something like that. So, is there any way around that? The system I use is win2k and I can't log in as an admin or anything like that...
Old 02-15-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No. Port 80 is what web browsers work on. Other ports are used for other services.
Old 02-15-03, 12:48 AM
Suspended

But I mean is there a way to make the web browser use a different port to get on the web? Or something like that...?
Old 02-15-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you want to get fired?
Old 02-15-03, 01:12 AM
Suspended

They won't even know, and it's not like I'd be on the web all day long, I just want to check email and stuff when there's nothing better to do or even just on my lunch break (I rarely leave for lunch)
Old 02-15-03, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They'd know. Just get a phone or a PDA that can get email. And keep your job.
Old 02-15-03, 10:53 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Or use dialup if you can find an analog phone line.
Old 02-15-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's a bad strategy bro. DO NOT use their connection to the Internet or they'll know. Dialup is the most sound option, as X suggests.
Old 02-15-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If they have gone to the trouble to block it, they would know if you get around it. Besides, if you were able to figure out a way around it, they would probably take it personally, and you would get paid back for it *10
Dave
Old 02-16-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you can get access to one of your employer's PCs that does have web access, you **might** be able to find the proxy address that your company is using (assuming they are using a proxy at all). I think you need to look under internet options --> connections in Internet Explorer. Copy the address and enter it in IE on the computer you have unsupervised access to. You might also be able to access the proxy by simply clicking the appropriate box in IE options, without knowing the address.

This probably won't work for you, but it did for me . If you value your job, DO NOT EVEN TRY TO DO THIS. But if your stuck in temp hell like I was, by all means go for it.
Old 02-16-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This used to work for my wife.
She would open Internet Explorer and enter her login and password and it wouldn't work because her access was blocked (it had to be a valid login and password with access blocked for this to work). This first window wouldn't work. She would then open up another window (leaving the first window open)...and viola...this second window would work!

But now there is a much easier and fairly anonymous way to access the internet. In order to find out who was on it, they would have to find out who was physically on that particular computer at the time that computer was connected to the internet.