Reload this Page >

A few newbie mac questions

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-14-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend got a used mac from her friend, and we have no documentation on the software etc. It is a G4, and has OS 9. I'm very comfortable with a pc, but have never used a mac before, not has she.

I have a few very easy, simple things, that I cannot figure out.. Sorry if they're no brainers, but haven't had much look tracking down the information.

1. How do you uninstall an application? (I can't seem to find an add/remove program utility or anything similiar. Simply delete the folder containing the app?)

2. How do I remove items from the main toolbar on the top of the screen? (There are several program icons on there, that I would like to remove)

3. When the computer boots up, you see numerous icons loading up on the bottom of the screen, I presume services. 1-2 of them have red X's on them. Any way to track down the problem etc.

4. Is there any way to modify who a given app is registered to? They are currently in her friends name, do you have to reinstall as is norm w traditional pcs.

I think that should get me started with the things I need for now.

Oh yeah, also any sites w mac tips etc. are appreciated.
Old 02-15-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anybody? I know everybody w a mac, besides me can prob answer these easy questions. ha
Old 02-16-03, 04:46 AM

1) Can be answered here

I can't help you with the rest because I don't have a mac yet, but I am ordering one this week. Check out that forum and maybe you can find what you are looking for.

Also, apple.com/support has message boards for each computer and os, with FAQ's and other sections. A lot of info can be found there too! Good luck!
Old 02-16-03, 09:53 AM

Do you know which model of G4 you have? Anyhow, under OS9, most programs can be removed just be deleting its folder. However, some programs install extensions and control panels inside the system folder. Just guessing, but you prabably have Stuffit as an item on the menu bar, right? Those would be extensions/control panels. I wouldn't really delete it though b/c you'll need it for the internet.

If you have the original program discs (which you should have received from the seller), I would completly erase everything and start from scratch. That would solve all your problems and give you a fresh start.
Old 02-16-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: A few newbie mac questions

When in doubt.... http://www.info.apple.com/usen/macos9/