Reload this Page >

How do I hook up a 2nd HD?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-14-03, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my case today, and my computer powers up now (yay!) but since the MB and CPU are both new, Windows XP wont boot. I have a large number of digital photos, and a few Word documents on my HD that I'd like to get off of it before I reformat. I figured I'd just take my HD out, and set it as a slave on my dads PC. Physically, I think I have a handle on hooking it up. I just need to set the drive to a slave, then hook it up with the IDE cable and a power cable, right? It's after this where I'm not clear on what I need to do. The online guides I found talk about fdisking the drive... but I dont want to wipe out the data on it. Can I hook up my HD as a slave without loosing all the data?

Is there a way to get Windows XP to boot on my new system without reformatting? I tried the recovery console in Windows setup, but it's just a command prompt and it doesn't tell me what I need to do.

Brian
Old 02-14-03, 02:17 AM

When I try to boot XP, it just comes up with a warning screen, with a message that says something like "An error has been encountered and windows has been shut down to avoid damage to your computer."... then something about if it's the first time you've seen the message, restart the computer, and if the message still comes up, to check the HD for errors (like viruses) or make sure it's hooked up correctly (it is), etc. Then gives a long error code.
The same thing happens if I try any of the Safe Modes too.

Brian
Old 02-14-03, 03:04 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

FIRST POST
Yes you can set your hard drive as a slave without affecting the data.

You should be able to remove the hard drive and put it in another computer and boot with no problems... (except you'd most likely have to reinstall all the drivers.)

This is something I do with older computers.

I will install the Operating System on a faster machine. After the installation is completed I will move the hard drive to slower machine and go from there.

SECOND POST
As for your second post, I'm not sure what to tell you.

When does it give you the error message? How far does WIN XP boot?
Old 02-14-03, 03:54 AM

Actually... I just ran a repair installation of XP, so it boots fine now... just backing up some stuff, then I'm going to reformat

Much easier than swapping the HD to another machine.