Reload this Page >

Western Digital RMA advice!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-13-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, about a year and half ago, I paid like $150 for a WD 20GB hard drive (Yes, I know, i know, stupid, stupid). Anyway, after about seven months, it died on me, I formatted and wrote zeros, it still had errors when it did the test. So it was dead and need to be exchanged, luckily, it had a THREE year warranty, I still have a year and half left on it. Its been sitting in the box for five months since I hadn't gotten to the shipping and forms parts (Busy).

This month, I'm going for it. This is the first RMA so I need some advice on how to do this cheaply as possible. I talked to a shipping place and they said they'll do it for $20, including shipping and packaging

I have a box from a previous order for a hard drive and the plastic wrapping. Only thing I don't have is the anti-static bag. From work, I was putting in a new big ass printerhead and just took the anti-static bag. It is quite large. It should satisfy WD's specifications. Can I just cut it up and tape it? Or WD's just so picky about that?
Old 02-13-03, 08:17 PM

I had a WD 4GB (I think) that was given to me that didn't work. I called them up and told them the s/n and all, well I didn't have any proof of purchase since it was a gift. They didn't really care.

I put it in an old box with some peanuts from another package and I put the HDD in a sandwich bag. Don't laugh, I was in college.

A few weeks later I get a 6GB drive back. Apparently they stopped making the smaller drives? heh. Needless to say I was happy.

They may be stricter now that we're no longer in the ".com and computer companies don't really need income" world.
Old 02-13-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Einsatz
... Don't laugh, I was in college.
Dude, I'm in college now! Why else would I try to do this cheaply as possible?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that they're much more stricter now. They have some strict specifications on their forms. I figure I can just use the plastic wrapper/wrap up the HD with the AS bag, and spend $5 for the shipping.
Old 02-13-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure about WD, but I know that Maxtor will, if you provide a credit card, ship the replacement drive to you first. You then have 30 days to return the defective unit, or they bill you for it.

With Maxtor's deal, I've just reused what they've shipped the replacement in. I ship the return drive back from work for...oh...free...but it should be no more that $5-6.
Old 02-13-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You'll be fine. There was a period when it seemed like I was doing nothing but RMA'ing WD drives. They had a really bad batch go out a few years ago.

Basically, make sure you've got the RMA# on the label like they ask. And do make sure you ship via some method that has tracking or delivery confirmation.
Old 02-14-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by emanon
Not sure about WD, but I know that Maxtor will, if you provide a credit card, ship the replacement drive to you first. You then have 30 days to return the defective unit, or they bill you for it.

With Maxtor's deal, I've just reused what they've shipped the replacement in. I ship the return drive back from work for...oh...free...but it should be no more that $5-6.
where's the report post to boss link?
Old 02-14-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by D.Phillibuster
where's the report post to boss link?
Hey now...you just go back to fiddlin' with the thermostat, y'hear?