Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Ge Force FX

Old 02-12-03, 11:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ge Force FX

I just came from Wal-Mart and picked up my monthly issue of Maximum PC when Bam! I saw it! The Geforce FX (also known as the GeForce NV30)! The mamma jamma goes fast but it takes up two spaces on the back of your computer to hook up. It is extremely coolable and also the one that they gave Maximum PC was the Beta version and it is fast it just gets less frames per second than the Radeon 9700 Pro. It will be released March or April (release date not listed). I think that the GeForce needs some polish but they said they are still working on it. But the company was scared and told MPC that if they were going to test it they can't push the card (they didn't say it like that though). The Radeon and the Geforce FX are like hand in hand though. One can do something that the other one can't and vice versa. But i'm sure AI has something up their sleeves.
Old 02-12-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It has been reported that the top of the line card (the 5800 Ultra or something for $399 ) will only be available to people who preordered. After those orders have been filled, they will pull the cards from the market.

Something odd is going on.
Old 02-13-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The reviews thus far have been less than stellar. The card is 3 months late, takes up 2 PCI slots, sounds like a vacuum cleaner and barely beats the 6 month old Radeon 9700 pro. It actually performs worse in some cases. I was looking forward to picking one up but it doesnt look good unless the retail version will be vastly different. I think Nvidia might be just cutting their losses and focusing on the NV35 at this point.
Old 02-13-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am anxious for the FX to be released so the price on my GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128mb will drop I have a GeForce 2 now and it works fine...the 4 should kick tail....I don't need the cutting edge, I like the less expensive proven technology..
Old 02-13-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Thrush
The reviews thus far have been less than stellar. The card is 3 months late, takes up 2 PCI slots, sounds like a vacuum cleaner and barely beats the 6 month old Radeon 9700 pro. It actually performs worse in some cases. I was looking forward to picking one up but it doesnt look good unless the retail version will be vastly different. I think Nvidia might be just cutting their losses and focusing on the NV35 at this point.

Just what I was going to say. I've been holding off on upgrading to the Radeon because I don't like their driver support. I was hoping that the FX would be further ahead than this, but it looks like GF4 4600 for me now.
Old 02-13-03, 09:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Thrush
That's true. The 9700 still smokes the nvida in some cases. The card is still being polished so you really don't know what to expect when the retail version comes out. I hope that Maximum PC will give a review on the retail one. Because with all of that space it takes up and that huge fan, it better be flash.