Have four controllers...

1. Onboard ATA100
20GB
CD-ROM
2. Promise Ultra133 TX2
80GB
80GB
120GB

3. Promise FastTrak 100 TX2 (on board raid)
40GB
40GB
45GB
4. Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI
50 GB
DVD-ROM

Motherboard ASUS A7V133
Current Power Supply: 300 or 320 watts

I can run either Controllers 1, 2, & 4 or 1, 3, & 4 successfully. When I try to run all four together, the computer freezes. I'm assuming it's the power supply...

but... I was having problems with the 3rd controller. I had different drives on it, but encountered problems, moved them to a different controller and the write error was gone! but the 40GB work fine on it? so i'm not sure what the problem is...

I also would like to add one more 40 GB and another 120 GB drives... replace contoller 2 with a RAID controller...

I'll probably drop the 20 GB, it's an older slow drive... I was in high school when I got it!
Old 02-12-03, 09:00 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 8 Hard Drives & 300 Watts == bad?

Originally posted by jrobinson
I can run either Controllers 1, 2, & 4 or 1, 3, & 4 successfully. When I try to run all four together, the computer freezes. I'm assuming it's the power supply...

So, what happens if you set things up so that there is only one drive on each controller? If all the controllers work when setup like this, then you at least know that the controllers seem to be playing nice. If they do work together, that would make it seem more likely to be a power problem. It's hard to say right off how much power the drives would be useing. There are SCSI drives that would peak at 10-12W and others that would peak at 30-35W. IDE would be more like 5-15W each, while the CD and DVD drives could be anywhere from about 10-25W. So, you could possibly be drawing close to 200W just from your drives... that's not including the controllers. At the same time, you could only be drawing about half that... just depends on the drives.

A fairly good chart on power consumption can be found here...
http://www11.brinkster.com/bayup/doarticles.asp?a=27. And, somewhere AMD has a nice chart that breaks down power supply production so that you can make sure you aren't exceeding the available power on any of the rails (3.3v, 5v, 12v).