Reload this Page >

Help in trying to access WAV files on a music CD

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-11-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a CD from circa 1995 that has ROM material on it. When I first got the CD (Jars of Clay's first commercial CD, by the way) I was able to view the ROM material on my computer, a then top of the line 66 mghtz, pre Pentium. At any rate, I was able to go into my "windows explorer" on that computer, and view the individual ROM files. Part of that ROM had the band's first demo CD, "Frail" and WAV files of tracks from that CD. On that old computer, I was able to run audio cables into my stereo and tape the WAV files to cassette, but now I would like to convert the WAV files on that CD into MP3. Well, now on my new computer, when I try to view the files on the CD, it only lets me see the 10 CDA tracks on the disc, even though in "properties" it tells me it is a CD ROM.

At this point I could careless if the old exe file on the ROM ever works again (tho it would be nice!), but I would just like to get those WAV files on the CD converted into MP3. I have tried various tricks I can think of, and even tried to just access the WAV files straight thru Nero, and tried it on two different drives, and still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-12-03, 11:19 PM
Banned

Download MusicMatch. There you can convert WAV to MP3 and vice versa. Onece yo install it you go to File > Convert File and everything else should explain itself.
Old 02-13-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by moyam
Download MusicMatch. There you can convert WAV to MP3 and vice versa. Onece yo install it you go to File > Convert File and everything else should explain itself.
Well, I can convert WAV to MP3 easilly enough with Nero, but the problem with this CD is it has ROM content that I can't view thru Windows Explorer, and that's the problem. If I could find a way to read just the files on the ROM content, I could copy the WAV files to my hard drive and go from there, but for some reason, I can't view them! In 1995, when I got the CD, I was able to view the rom files, including the wav files, in Windows 3.1. My current computer is using Windows 98.
Old 02-13-03, 10:05 PM
Banned

Well, then there i don't know what to do. What I recommed ripping the whole cd and see what happens. See if you ripped the who;e thing. Try a ripper that rips roms
Old 02-14-03, 09:39 PM

Try this. I've used this for years:

http://www.sonicspot.com/alternatecd...tecdfsvxd.html

Here's the description. It's really easy:

Description

An alternate Windows 9x CD-ROM driver that allows you to access your audio CD tracks as WAV files. Once installed, there will be an array of folders listed for the audio CD in the CD-ROM's drive. All the tracks are listed as WAV files in each of the folders made for each combination of formats (Mono/Stereo, 8Bit/16Bit, 11025Hz/22050Hz/44100Hz). When you access the files from Windows Explorer or a program's open dialog, it automaticly converts your CD's audio data to WAV file data in the correct format.

To install the alternate virtual device driver.

* Download and unzip the file into a temporary folder.
* Back up your old Windows\System\IOSubSys\cdfs.vxd file so you can restore the current configuration if it doesn't work for your setup.
* Copy the alternate cdfs.vxd from the temporary folder you unzipped it to over the original one.
* Reboot.