Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

STILL NEED HELP! DVD-R drive no longer recognized! (revised)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-11-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

original story:

hello all...

just picked up a new pioneer 105, and moved my old 103 to my fiancee's computer. was running it last night with no problems, using expletive deleted and nero (on xp home)..

today i installed expletive deleted , rebooted, and now the drive is no longer found in windows (under my computer)... the drive is there - it shows up in the device manager, but it has a yellow exclamation mark and says:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

anyone have any clues? i need to get this figured out asap. i do not have the original disc that came with the drve. i previously upgraded the firmware to 2.0. thanks in advance.

EDIT: a little more info.. for some reason, i think this computer is having trouble with plug & play... i just also installed a firewire card and a usb 2.0 card, and both are recognized, but drivers fail to install automatically..

UPDATE:

ugh..

i uninstalled all expletive deleted programs, and tried booting again - same problem with the drive. i unplugged the drive and plugged in the normal CD-ROM drive that was there before, and it gives me the same error!! so no CD/DVD drives are working now.....

i couldn't find my xp home disc, so i installed xp pro.. couldn't install over xp home, because i hadn't backed anything up.. so currently this machine is a dual boot of xp home & pro...

boot xp pro up, and the drive is recognized and works like a champ. that's all well and good, but it's like being on a completely different computer, since i can't see/use any of the programs that i have installed on the xp home...

i guess at this point my question is this: is there any easy way to transfer all of the settings/programs/desktop/etc. from what i had (have) installed on xp home over to xp pro?? not looking like there's gonna be an easy solution at this point, but i'm hoping... thanks again.. sorry for the last thread, x..
Old 02-11-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you own both XPs, and your liscensce won't expire in a month, I'd stick with XP pro. Maybe you can ghost some of the more critical files over to the new boot.