Reload this Page >

I need help upgrading.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I need help upgrading.

Old 02-10-03, 09:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help upgrading.

Don't lauph. I said not to lauph. Will you stop making fun of me!?

Remember this when I give you my system specs. I have a Celeron @ 900 Mhz. I got a 20gig Hard Drive and PC133 256mb SDRAM. My sound card is some intergrated garbage and so is my video card. The video card is supposed to be as fast as a 64mb AGP Graphics card but it isn't showing it to me. I have overclocked it but it is still spoofing on me. My Hard Drive is almost full (of non of your buisness)(X just a joke. Don't move to Mature Forum please). Also with the cheap graphics card, just imagine how difficult it is watching dvd's on my desktop. It is time for an upgrade. I know what parts to get exept one. If I get a P4 Motherboard to I have to Replace my powersupply that feeds my Celeron Mobo? I also have another question. I am going to get as one of my upgrades a 120 GB HD. I dont know how to format or nothing. What do I need to do to get windows running on this HD? I want to learn how to do this off MS-DOS(for future of building computers). Once I do this, how do I transfer my files from the old HD to the new HD?

Last edited by moyam; 02-10-03 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-11-03, 10:54 PM
Banned

Well? Do I?
Old 02-11-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

uhhh, how about telling us how many watts the PS has?
What OS is it?

If it >300W, you'll want a new PS since you OC, and as for the transfering of files, its easier to just re-install windows on the new HD, then move all the files from the old one (you can do this in windows, DOS isn't necessary) Like the 120GB would be the master with the fresh install of windows for better performance and old one the slave.
Old 02-12-03, 01:23 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Ranger means if your existing PS is less than 300 watts you'll want to invest in a nice, new, powerful 350+Watt PS to avoid turning your old PS into a smoking heap and damaging your nice new system.

If you have the Windows 2000 or XP CD, all you have to do is boot with the CD and follow the directions to format and install. It's a piece of cake. Anything below Win2k and you'll have to learn a little DOS.

Good luck!

-BT
Old 02-13-03, 09:57 PM
Banned

Ok, thats pretty cool but here's anotherone for ya! Its not a 120 GB that I bought. I went and bought a 140 GB! Well, the thing is that I know that Windows XP does not recodnize the full space of the drive when it is over 133 GB. So you need to make a partition of the Drive. How do I do that? Once I make a partiton of the drive, how do I put the second part of the HD into work.

Last edited by moyam; 02-13-03 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-14-03, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by moyam
Ok, thats pretty cool but here's anotherone for ya! Its not a 120 GB that I bought. I went and bought a 140 GB! Well, the thing is that I know that Windows XP does not recodnize the full space of the drive when it is over 133 GB. So you need to make a partition of the Drive. How do I do that? Once I make a partiton of the drive, how do I put the second part of the HD into work.
Windows XP should see the drive greater than 137GB if you have Service Pack 1 installed.
Old 02-15-03, 06:24 PM
Banned

Is that an upgrade patch? Even if it is, I am going to install windows freshly so I can't install the service pack. Can someone tell me what is all this hard drive formatting and stuff?
Old 02-15-03, 06:58 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Basically formating is like painting lines on a parking lot, lets you know where to park your data. Due to old technology there were limits with how many lines you could paint. You need to use new technology to go past the arbitrary limits set by old technology. If you are unable to use SP1 then you'll have to create partitions that divide the disks into smaller ones that fit under the limit.