Reload this Page >

Best setup for two IDE CD/CDRW drives?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-10-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Creative 48X CD-ROM and an old HP 4x2x24 CDRW that I'm putting in a system. Would it be best to have the HP burner as the master on the 2nd IDE and the Creative as slave on the main IDE?
Old 02-10-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you doing dual burning or do you plan to do CD to CD copying? I burn 2 cd's at a time and found it best that they are on the same chain, but if you are using them mainly for disc to disc I think it's best to have them on seperate IDE ports.

As far as master / slave I don't think it really matters... but if I do have a drive spit out a bad disc it is usually from my slave.
Old 02-10-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the reply. To tell you the absolute truth I probably won't be doing a hell of a lot of burning with that drive anyway...I have two brand new LiteOns in my computers and I'm just doing something with the old HP that I paid a fortune for back in the day It was my first burner and kind of hate to just dump it, it still works great.

I guess what I'm asking is for overall use what would be best, getting a feel for what someone else would do given the same hardware. Let me ask this, how cool/uncool is it having that 48X as a slave to the hard drive for when you're installing or transferring software from CD to HDD?
Old 02-10-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk God

boot drive primary master
main cd drive secondary master
the rest doesnt matter

although.. i would probably put the second harddrive as secondary slave.. sicnce your going to be using the two harddrives more often than the cd drive, it would be good to have them on seperate channels
Old 02-10-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hhhmm, maybe you got me wrong, there's only one hard drive.
Old 02-10-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really don't think there's a consensus about the "right" way to set this up. Ask enough people and you'll get answers that cover just about every permutation possible.

And in reality, the hardware sometimes will dictate that one way will work better than the others regardless of what anybody thinks the theory is.

So basically stick 'em in their however you want and if it works, great. If there's problems, try switching things up until you find a config that's the best.
Old 02-10-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

belboz I do think you're right. I've heard several other comments about the proper setup over the years and each person's setup seems to be working okay for them.

What I did was put the hard drive by itself on the master and the HP burner as main on the secondary, the Creative as a slave on the secondary. Burning a CD fine right now as I type. BTW just looked at the manual for my LiteOn and it says to set the LiteOn up like that so I did the same with the HP.