Reload this Page >

Couple questions about my new LiteOn 52x24x52

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-09-03, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got this drive installed today and am wondering about a couple things...are these things supposed to be good at audio ripping? I also have a Pioneer 6X/32X SCSI slot load DVD-ROM which ripped at a steady 12X almost all the time. This LiteOn is doing anywhere from 6X at the start up to 16X or so. Thought it would be a little faster than that but whatever. Or are these not really recommended for ripping as far as errors are concerned?

Other question, is it advisable to install the InCD packet writing software? I don't have a huge need for it as I have my computers networked and if it has any drawbacks like DirectCD did I probably don't want to bother.

Oh and how do you make a bootable CD?

Last edited by Wolfchild; 02-09-03 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-09-03, 09:03 PM
Banned

First of all congrads for getting a lite on! It is the best burner out there. Never used it for ripping audio (you cant rip video on it) but I think you can do it. I have a lite on 32x12x40x and it is a while old and it is still kicking but. As for burning software I would totally recommend Nero because it's fast and very simple to use with the wizard and once you get ued to it you can get out of the wizard onto the startup box which gives you more options. As for the bootable Cd how you make it is when you start up the wizard will pop up and there will be a box in the corner of the wizard and you click on it and there you scroll down on your left until you see CD Rom (Boottable) or something like that) this is for nero

Last edited by moyam; 02-09-03 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-09-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually I bought two of them, one for one of my other machines and yeah I'm pretty happy with its burning ability so far. I've only done disc to disc so far reading from the 6X/32X Pioneer and it burns 650+ megs in less than five minutes. Much faster I'm sure if I wrote disc from the hard drive.

Both of these came with Nero so I'll look at the setup next time I make some discs...I was thinking about making a small handful of bootable CD-ROMs with stuff like Ghost and Memtest and DOS on them in case I'm ever in a bind and at the same time had trouble with my floppy drive...or if I had to work on someone's computer that didn't have a floppy. Probably never use it but hey it's a fun little project.
Old 02-10-03, 02:44 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Lite-On drive works great for ripping audio. Just be sure to use EAC (exact audio copy) and LAMEenc for CD extraction and mp3 compression.

-BT
Old 02-10-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm starting to think that this particular drive, even though it burns great, isn't too hot at DAE. Maybe it's just this particular one, I'll try the other out when I get it installed. It rips deplorably slow with EAC, I'm talking 1X - 6X. Maybe it's my settings or EAC seeing too many potential errors?. Audiograbber as I said rips at up to 16X but it shows like 300 potential errors when ripping one song. With the Pioneer, zero errors. The LiteOn rips do sound just fine though.

Actually I think I'm going to say hell with this LiteOn for ripping, that's not what I bought it for anyway, and put my Plex 40 Max back in this computer, even though it seems silly to have three optical drives. The Plex rips at a steady 24X with zero errors.
Old 02-11-03, 02:28 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well EAC is going to be a lot slower anyway since it's making an exact copy. Is the firmware on your 52x the latest? That's odd b/c I've never heard of anyone having audio extraction problems with a 52x Lite-On...
Old 02-11-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't know about the firmware...where do I check that. I know where to download the new ones but I haven't checked what this drive has. It's a brand new retail shipped from newegg last week.

Still haven't tried the other one I bought, still don't have the new computer built yet. I will probably still just use the Plex for ripping though, CPU usage is next to zero compared with bigtime CPU usage with the IDE LiteOn. That could be what audiograbber is seeing and reporting as potential errors (?) although as I've said, the LiteOn's rips turn out perfectly fine.
Old 02-11-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Off Topic

How is the LiteOn when it comes to noise? Is it loud, quiet, somewhere in between. I'm looking for a good burner that's not loud like my Yamaha 2100 SCSI. The Yammy is damn good, but the noise is a turn off
Old 02-11-03, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Wolfchild
Don't know about the firmware...where do I check that. I know where to download the new ones but I haven't checked what this drive has. It's a brand new retail shipped from newegg last week.
Since you bought a Lite-On, it should have included Nero Burning ROM. There is a utility called Nero InfoTool included on that CD that will tell you the firmware level of your drive.

You may have already found this site, but cd freaks has tons of information about Lite-On drives.
Old 02-11-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Deadpool
Off Topic

How is the LiteOn when it comes to noise? Is it loud, quiet, somewhere in between. I'm looking for a good burner that's not loud like my Yamaha 2100 SCSI. The Yammy is damn good, but the noise is a turn off
Of course everyone has a different threshold for what noise they'll tolerate, and what is 'quiet' to them. But the LiteOn, IMO, is remarkably quiet for a drive that'll burn a CD in less than three minutes. You hear it spin up a little now and then but it's fairly muffled. Overall it's pretty darn quiet if you ask me.

And further off topic: Hey what is up though with the absence of higher-speed SCSI CD-ROMs, DVDs and CDRW these days?? I'd go SCSI every time I had a chance but it seems like there are none really being made anymore, or at least they didn't advance them past a certain point, like if you buy a new Plex SCSI burner you can only get a 24X. Very disappointing.
Old 02-12-03, 01:19 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

They probably don't manufacture many SCSI CDRW drives any more b/c the IDE ones are so fast and cheap it really doesn't make any sense to pour more money into the SCSI models. And there probably isn't much demand for the SCSI models either.

-BT
Old 02-12-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Guess you're right. I did just check and it looks like you can still a 40x12x40x Plex SCSI for $216...ouch compared to $50-60 for a faster LiteOn or Asus.

I pick up used SCSI optical drives whenever I get a chance though...can't beat the Pioneer SCSI slot-load DVD-ROMs and Plex CD drives.