Reload this Page >

What network card would you recommend?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-08-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently slowly picking out the pieces to my new computer and I am trying to pick a network card. Several people have recommended the Intel Pro 100 S, and I was curious what everyone here is using.
Old 02-08-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If money did not matter, I would get a 3com

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...312498&loc=101

if money matters, get a Netgear

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=30701&loc=101

The links are just an example of price, I am sure you can find both cheaper if you look.
Old 02-08-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like linksys

http://www.buy.com/retail/computers/...17160&loc=7073

But 95% of all new, decent quality mobos have a network card built in ... you probably won't need one.
Old 02-08-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cheapest one possible. Some are free after rebate. It's not like you'll notice the difference in quality.
Old 02-08-03, 05:45 PM
Banned

It's all 10\100 so what's the point? Get the cheapest one you can get.
Old 02-08-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cheapest I've seen was the D-LINK cards for $4.99 after $20 MIR. But i'd just take on board LAN.
Old 02-08-03, 06:25 PM

Like others have suggested, the cheapest one possible.

Unless you're going to be doing things like controlling a piece of medical equipment real-time or something, you don't need the extra 1ms of performance that you'll get for paying $40.

Especially if this is to get broadband. Your bottleneck won't be the card, it'll be whatever broadband method you're using... both Cable/DSL are many many times slower than what NICs are designed to handle.
Old 02-09-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm using a 3Com 905 card right now. No, it's not any faster, but it does buy me some peace of mind about compatibility and stability.

Hardware device drivers run in kernel memory space in Win2K and XP. So, a buggy driver will cause big problems. That's why MS has a WHQL cert for hardware drivers and even that process doesn't guarantee complete compatibility.

So, I wouldn't get "the cheapest available." I would get the cheapest from a company that you're confident can write a decent driver.
Old 02-09-03, 02:31 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by belboz
I'm using a 3Com 905 card right now. No, it's not any faster, but it does buy me some peace of mind about compatibility and stability.

Hardware device drivers run in kernel memory space in Win2K and XP. So, a buggy driver will cause big problems. That's why MS has a WHQL cert for hardware drivers and even that process doesn't guarantee complete compatibility.

So, I wouldn't get "the cheapest available." I would get the cheapest from a company that you're confident can write a decent driver.
I agree with you.

A good network card will last a long time and give you peace of mind that it's less likely to be the source of flakey problems. And the card's drivers will be kept up-to-date by the manufacturer and supported by MS in current and future OSs.

Also, there is a difference between cards. If you have a home network it is nice to have the speed of full-duplex cards instead of the half-duplex you often get with "cheapies".