Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Win98 just stopped recognizing my mouse.what do I do?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-07-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I turned my computer on today and right after it loaded I got a message that there is no mouse present. It is there but it just won't recognize it for some reason. I can't shut the computer down without just shutting off the power. I have opened up the computer and everything seems connected. I double checked the connection from the mouse to the motherboard and it is fine. Is it a problem with my Windows software or what? Any ideas of how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 02-07-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's weird. Usually the mouse is detected automatically without you having to do anything at all. Check that the little pins in the connector aren't broken or bent and also check that there's nothing blocking the connector on the mobo.
Old 02-07-03, 09:44 PM

everything looks fine. it is a ps/2 mouse but my computer doesn't have a slot for it so I use 1 of those adapter jobs. it worked for years but now its not. everything looks just fine. no dust or anything bent. Nothing blocking connections on motherboard either.
Old 02-08-03, 04:47 PM

Can you try another mouse?
I can't shut the computer down without just shutting off the power.
Why not?
Old 02-08-03, 05:33 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just use the keyboard to shut down.

Ctrl-Esc will open the start menu, the arrow keys will get you to shut down, F4 will drop down the shutdown choices, tab will take you to ok and enter will select ok.
Old 02-08-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's funny how someone think you can't use the computer anymore without a mouse. Sorry ChrisHicks if I'm busting your chop.

Anyway, why don't you try entering safe mode to see if the mouse will work. When the computer says Starting Windows 98... press F3.
Old 02-08-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by zuffy

It's funny how someone think you can't use the computer anymore without a mouse. Sorry ChrisHicks if I'm busting your chop.

Anyway, why don't you try entering safe mode to see if the mouse will work. When the computer says Starting Windows 98... press F3.
i know...some people have no idea. sure it's harder in windows, but there's the friendly tab button
Old 02-08-03, 10:49 PM

The way I was shutting it down was ctrl + alt + del. Then just use tab until I get to shut down. I didn't know about the other ways.
Old 02-08-03, 11:13 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That'll work.
Old 02-09-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had this problem with my old PC (just got a new Dell Dimension a week ago). Hit the space bar & then move your mouse back & forth fast until the on-screen pointer moves. If that doesn't work go ctrl-alt-dlt twice to reboot. I also had to hold my mouse wire to one side (putting a crimp in it) to make my on-screen pointer move sometimes, so I'm nearly certain my problem was the mouse (and I'm guessing yours is too).

I took care of the problem by buying a new mouse...with my new PC.