Reload this Page >

I need an ATX case but...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-07-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday, I received my new motherboard, cpu, and ram. I get everything installed in the case, and get to the part where I have to hook up the power switch, LED lights, etc... The case I was using was from my Micron, and for whatever reason, they bundled all of the wires for the power button, the power LED, the HDD LED, etc, into one plug, which of course doesnt line up with the correct pins on the motherboard (I tried, it didnt work, I hope I didnt blow up my MB, though I have no reason to think I did, I just get paranoid )

Long story short, I need a new ATX case. The problem is, I live in alaska, and all of the stores I've found online want an arm and a leg for shipping. Best place I've found so far is NewEgg, who wants $38 for FedEx 2 day... I found another place that used Priority Mail, but they wanted $60!!!

So... anyone here know of a reputable online store that sells cases and doesnt rip you off with USPS Priority Mail shipping. Better yet, anyone here have an ATX case they dont need anymore, that you are willing to sell? I dont need a power supply.

Brian
Old 02-07-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

are the wires labeled at all? or is it possible to pull the wires out of the plastic plug? If so, you might be able to figure out which wires go where through trial and error. (I don't think you can hurt anything by plugging these in the wrong slots)

I'm sure some of the other people around here can come up with something a bit more macguyver-worthy.
Old 02-07-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this on newegg's homepage. It had a special w/ fedex $10 shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...125-950&DEPA=1
Old 02-07-03, 10:58 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I don't know how shipping charges are structured up there in Nanook-land, but is there a possibility that you could get a cheaper shipping rate by buying the case from a Canadian company?
Old 02-08-03, 12:41 AM

Darren: It would still be international shipping, so I'm not really sure. The main problem with places like UPS and FedEx here is they can't drive to town, so we can't get stuff shipped by ground, so it costs more... so none of those free shipping deals apply to Alaska (or Hawaii). The thing that really pisses me off is places trying to overcharge for Priority Mail, since it's one flat rate no matter where you are in the US.

Brian
Old 02-08-03, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just a thought, but maybe you could just line up the power button? Last time I took my computer apart, I didn't even bother hooking anything else up. Don't need anything else (except maybe a restart - even though a 4 second power button hold will do the same).
Old 02-08-03, 03:13 AM

Blake: ACtually, I just tried that...

This time, all the fans turned on (both PSU fans, the CPU fan, the fan in the back of the case, and the video card fan) but that's it... the exact same symptoms that started this whole mess I've had in the first place... I cant imagine I got a fautly motherboard... is it POSSIBLE it could be one of the cd drives or the hard drive, or possibly even my surge protector going bad?

Or maybe the MB doesnt like having things hooked up where they're not supposed to go...

Brian

Last edited by bdshort; 02-08-03 at 03:17 AM.
Old 02-08-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could you mayhaps save some money just by upgrading the power supply unit in your existing case? A new PSU should cost a nice chunk less to ship than an entire case would.
Old 02-08-03, 11:42 AM

The PSU is a brand new 350W Antec.
Old 02-08-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And it has the wrong connectors for a new mobo? Do you have model number specs on the mobo/PSU readily available?
Old 02-08-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't see how a PSU is the problem here. The problem is the case -> mobo connectors. The PSU is irrelevant. From the problems you described, it could be a bad motherboard, but ya never really know. The only thing I could recommend is to replace the case - usually a farily painless process, and if that doesn't help, replace the mobo, and keep going from there. But I think the case would be the problem as you described it.
Old 02-08-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whoops - that'll teach me to read the forums after not sleeping all night the night before. I misread the power button, the power LED, the HDD LED, etc blurb to read power connector. Nevermind all of my gibberish about the PSU.
Old 02-09-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You could pay the shipping on a new case, or figure out which wire goes where (challenging but doable).

But surely some computer store in Alaska sells cases?

RD