Reload this Page >

Converting VHS to DVD Question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-07-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. I'm attempting to put some of my rare/out of print VHS onto DVD. How do I accomplish this? I have a new Dell with an ample amount of hard drive space and memory. I'll be using a Pioneer DVD burner to finalize everything. What do you have to use to connect the VCR to the PC? I have some DVD burning software that I haven't really played around with too much, can I use that? Sorry for being kind of vague, but I'm pretty new to this stuff. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Old 02-07-03, 06:18 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably the best way to do the conversion is put a digital camcorder between the VHS and the computer. It will digitize the video and sound and its output can be recorded onto DVD.

Without a camcorder you'll need a video capture card to interface the VHS output into the computer. Then you have to use software that can properly encode the video and sound to be burned onto DVD.
Old 02-07-03, 06:33 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.dvdrhelp.com has lots of useful info on this sort of thing
under the caption sidebar is where the info on going vhs->computer is
good luck
Old 02-07-03, 06:43 PM
Cool New Member

Hey Compusa has something called pctv pro-- its like 40 bucks with the rebate-- and its a card for the back of the pc-- that has an actual tv cable input for it (for recording tv to dvd or vcd)-- as well as a video in- so i guess hypothetically you could run the tv cable through the vcr and go crazy-- good luck
Old 02-08-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else have any information on skier98's theoretical technique? I've been looking for a cheap vid. capture card...
Old 02-08-03, 07:31 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It isn't a "theoretical technique". I'm using one now. The card is good for TV as well as s-video and composite input.