Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

I have a Wi-Fi PocketPC - what do I need to setup a wireless home network?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-07-03, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Toshiba e740 PocketPC, and am finally deciding to explore its wireless capabilities. From what I've seen, there are no Starbucks "hot spots" here in Hawaii, so I can't try out its functions anywhere. I'd like to be able to setup a wireless (IEEE 802.11b) connection at home, so I can surf the 'net and check email from anywhere in my apartment - but how in the world do I do this? Do I need an access point? A router? A wireless network card? I only have a PC with cable modem at home.

How much money is this all going to cost me, anyway?

Old 02-07-03, 03:43 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I have a wireless router. I do also have an audiovox maestro and a wifi card. It's not that exciting. I do not recommend investing money in this, unless you need it... and it sounds like you do not need it.

Surfing the internet is not as exciting as it sounds on that tiny screen... neither is email. Well, the email can be nice, but if you are doing it at home... especially in an apartment, I'd think that just going over to your computer is the better choice.

but if you want to... get a wireless router... set it up... and you should be going in a few minutes.

So you are looking at around 100 bucks.

Overall, it's a waste of money... (or at least I wasted my money)
Old 02-07-03, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm...thanks for the advice. You're probably right, if I'm just going to use my PDA at home, it's just as easy to hop over to the computer to check email, surf the web, etc. I use my cell phone to check sports scores when I'm out, and though the screen's pretty tiny (it's an older phone), that's still OK with me.

When are wireless networks going to be more prevalent?