Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

802.11 & Bluetooth - Compatible or Conflict?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-06-03, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to ask if there is anyone here who had some hands-on with Bluetooth.

Is it any good?
What does the future hold for Bluetooth? (Read something about Wireless USB, that's why.)
Will it cause any conflict with wireless internet (802.11b) since it uses radio wave?
How does Bluetooth works? Automatically sync?

I was considering a PDA, Compaq 3955 and the 3975, and I wanted to know if it's a good idea to throw in another 100 dollars to get some new technology. I was just thinking about the future and 'future proofing' it...

Thanks!

Last edited by gongon78; 02-06-03 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-06-03, 05:05 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bluetooth has been around for years, and it wasn't until late last year that we saw lots of Bluetooth-enabled devices hit the market. I have a cell phone that is Bluetooth-enabled, but nothing else I have has BT in it, so it's pretty much useless. I'm pretty ambivalent about it since it really has not hit critical mass like USB did at all.

I don't think that Bluetooth interferes with 802.11b networking since the two work along different frequencies.

Haven't had a chance to see if BT really works since I only have one electronic device with it. *shrug* I probably wouldn't spend an extra $100 on an Ipaq just to have it. Not worth it to me.

-BT
Old 02-06-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, 802.11 and BT can live in the same environments. In fact, I have a 802.11b WiFi card and a Bluetooth card in both of my PCMCIA slots, right next to each other.

I've heard that it could affect range on both devices, however, I am still able to perform a bluetooth hotsync with my pda while connected to the network via 802.11b.
Old 02-07-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Indeed, some companies are planning "802blue" cards that provide both wireless protocols (simultaneously) through one device.

Now, I know this is true for 802.11a and 802.11b - BUT I'm not so sure about the upcoming 802.11g, which is much faster but (I think) takes up a broader RF band, so there may be some conflict issues there.

- DJS