Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I buy a new card, if so... what one?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-05-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now I have a radeon 64mb DDR card w/ vivo. Seeing as how I am upgrading almost everything else in my pc (see post about killing processor) I was wondering if I should make the jump and upgrade my card. I was talking to the guys at bestbuy and asking them questions about upgrading, and they told me that even though my card is a 64ddr, and alot of the newer cards are also, the new ones are still faster then what I have. Is that right?

I want to get a card that has the ability to do video editing, and not be outdated the day I buy it. I am looking at the ATI Radion All in Wonder 9700Pro, but at the price I am a bit heasitent to get it. I know that there is a 8500 version of the card, but is there really that much of a diffrence in the cards? Would I be better off just spending the cash now so that I do not have to upgrade so soon in the future?

I was told also about a GeForce card, the ti4600 I think that has VIVO, but at work last night people were telling me that is it based on a old technology that will be outdated when the new motherboards come out. Not sure what that was all about, plus I have always had ATI cards in the past. Would this be a good option to the All in Wonder?
Old 02-05-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd get the AIW I think the only difference between the 8500 and the 9700 is the VPU and the amount of memory. The 9700 will give you better performance but it costs twice as much.
Old 02-05-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It would help to know the mobo, memory, and processor specs of your system. I'm too lazy to find your other thread
Old 02-05-03, 11:26 AM

I am getting the xp2100 processor, a Epox 8RDA+ motherboard, and a 512mb pc3200 samsung DDR chip. More then likely I will get a second 512 chip in a few weeks, depending of if the price drops more then what it has in the last few weeks.
Old 02-05-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you just getting it primarily for video editing or for gaming, as well?
Old 02-05-03, 12:21 PM

mostly for video editing, but every now and then I will toss a game up to play. That is where I am haing problems... If I was only going to do editing I would just get the old AIW board, but because I wish to game a bit I am wondering if I should just get what is the bet that is availible. I am not sure of the diffrence between most of the ATI cards as I can not find anything where it runs them aginst each other so that I can see how good one is compaired to anouther.

Argh... what to do.. what to do.
Old 02-05-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm more of an Nvidia person myself. I would think a Geforce 4 ti4200 w/ 128mb would do everything you wanted and not cost very much either ($150 at most). Not much point in buying the 4400 or 4600, IMO.
Old 02-05-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will propose two options for you depending upon how much work you want to do.

i) You could buy the Radeon 9500 (not pro) and do a few things. One, install the software patch which enables the 9500 to process like the 9700 pro (same architecture in the cards). Second, overclock the processor to perform more like a 9700 pro and finally, you will need to do some soldering on the board. In the end you will have a 9700 pro for the price of a 9500 (over $100 less). Downside to Radeon cards is that there are still some driver issues.

ii) buy a 128mb Nvidia GeForce 4 ti4200. Drivers are the best in the business and you don't need to do anything other than plug it in. It will not be a 9700 pro but it will still kick a$$.

If you want to dig into option (i) a little more try Anandtech or search on google.