Reload this Page >

Need help with diffrent Operating systems

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-04-03, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to make a prompt at the beginning of boot time and ask me in what OP do I want to start in. I want to install Linux in my machine but I don't want to abolish windows. I will only use Linux when programming C because it is much easier. I also would like to be asked to start up in windows 98 because my DOS games work better that way. Is this possible? How do I do this?
Old 02-05-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The linux LILO boot loader will detect the presence of Windows and prompt you to boot Windows or Linux.

So, install windows, then Linux and you should be just fine.
Old 02-05-03, 06:10 PM
Banned

EinTier thanks that really works!!! But what can I do about it asking me about the windows 98?
Old 02-05-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure I understand.

You install Windows98, because it's bootloader is the worst of the whole bunch -- it doesn't recognise anything other than Win98 and will overwrite anything already there. If you want Windows XP, NT, or 2000, install it now, but install to a different directory than the Win98 OS and don't do an upgrade. Now, you should have a menu that allows you to switch between 98 and whatever.

Now install Linux. It will detect the windows bootloader and keep it intact. So, when you boot, it'll ask "Linux or Windows?" If you choose to boot windows, you'll get the windows OS menu, and you can choose between NT|2000|XP and Win98.

You can edit the Linux LILO bootloader to load any of the three without going through the menu, but I don't remember enough to walk you through it here.