Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Please help with external hard drive question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-04-03, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a hard drive and an external enclosure to make an external USB hard drive and it isn't working right. The components:

- Maxtor 80MB 7200 RPM Ultra Series HD with 8MB Cache

- an unidentified name brand USB 2.0 external enclosure found here:

http://www.basoncomputer.com/spec.as...&PageID=131396

- Dell 1.7 GHZ P4 with WIndows XP Home

I got the drive installed into the enclosure and it powers up and then the driver installs ... but the drive does not appear in my list of disc drives. I've never used an external drive before, but I would think it should show up there in My Computer, right?

OK here are some other questions:

- Should the hard drive be set to slave or master?

- I assume I need to run MaxBlast to format the hard drive, but it won't recognize the new drive either. Do I need to go into BIOS?

- The enclosure is a USB 2.0 drive, but I only have USB 1.1. I assumed that I'd be able to use it, just at a much slower speed, isn't this right?

- I already have two hard drives and two CD drives ... will I be limited in the number of IDE ports I have? This is being connected through USB, so I didn't think it would matter.

Please help! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-04-03, 09:13 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What OS? You may have to go into Computer Management->Disk Management to partition and format.

- Master would probably be the setting

- Depends on your OS

- You can use it with USB 1.1 but it will be a dog.

- It has nothing to do with your other IDE devices
Old 02-05-03, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, X. I looked in disk management and the drive does show up there, but it lists it as unallocated. I am happy that the drive is at least showing up. However, I don't know if I can partition and format the hd from disk management. Is there a way to do this? I suppose if push comse to shove I can open my case and plug it in temporarily, but I would rather avoid that if I can. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help so far.
Old 02-05-03, 11:08 AM
X
Administrator

You can partition and format the hd from disk management. Right-click on it when in there.

You will have to format it as NTFS or break it into multiple partitions to format as FAT32 since Win2K and XP can only format up to 32GB as FAT32.
Old 02-05-03, 05:29 PM

Well, when I right click on it, the only option it gives me is 'properties'. Over on the left side of the screen instead of 'basic' it says 'Unknown" and Not Initialized. I really hope I can format this sucker without opening the case. Any other ideas on how to do this?
Old 02-05-03, 05:52 PM
X
Administrator

Click in the white rectangular area on the right. Not the grey area where it says Disk 0, Disk 1, etc.
Old 02-05-03, 06:04 PM

That's where I have been clicking.

But actually I didn't even think about clicking in the gray area ... your post made me very curious what would happen if I right clicked there. So I tried it and lo and behold, one of the options was 'initialize disk'. So I initialized it and now it's giving me the option to create a new partition. Thanks very much for your help! I will let you know if this has solved the problem.
Old 02-05-03, 06:11 PM
X
Administrator

I checked out what I was telling you on a Win2K system with already partitioned and formatted drives. Didn't have an XP machine on at the time.

It was probably the way it works when you don't even have a partition defined. Glad you found it!
Old 02-05-03, 06:39 PM

Complete success! Thanks very much for your advice, X.