Reload this Page >

Outlook no longer opens?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Outlook no longer opens?

Old 02-04-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outlook no longer opens?

Suggestions on how to fix it? I click on the icon and now I get my Outlook splash screen and it won't go any further.

I think this started yesterday (am not sure) and the only changes to my pc were to add a bunch of emulators for the playstation (including some with virus's which I cleaned). The only other change I did was to start using Mozilla over Internet Explorer (no more popups!) but I'm fairly sure it worked before then. I also defragged my pc, but I can't see that hurting Outlook. Notice that it's about time I format and reinstall since it's been like 2 years (lazy!) since I've done that, but I'd still like to wait a bit before I do so to find out exactly what I need to save before I go through reinstalling everything.
Old 02-04-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had that for a while, and had to repair my outlook (and all my office stuff). Assuming you have Office, you can go to it in Add/Remove Programs--click on Microsoft Office, and it will give you an option to repair.

All the times I've seen Outlook start acting up (I've seen a few have it at work) it was only a short time before reformat time, but you can maybe tide yourself over.
Old 02-04-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This may be a result of a change in your anti-virus prog. settings. If you have the program parse your mail archives and it does this each time you open the application, it may cause it to pause for a very long time, or even hang.

This type of setting is IMO unneccessary because any infected email you get should automatically be picked up by the background virus scanner app as soon as any activity starts on your hard drive. Same goes for most archive files such as .zips.

If that's not it, the repair suggestion above is also a possibility.