Reload this Page >

MS exchange question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

MS exchange question

Old 02-03-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MS exchange question

I need to try and recover some email data from a copy of our exchange info store. There are a couple of problems with this. The first is we can't use our existing exchange server (it needs to stay running), the second problem is the only part of the backup we have is the priv.edb file. (all 7 gigs of it). Is there a way to retrieve anything out of this, or setup a new exchange server to get into it? Or am I just screwed?
thanks
Dave
Old 02-03-03, 10:38 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know of any other method of recovery other than restoring to another Exchange server.

What version of Exchange?
Old 02-03-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

5.5, although I think I have it now (the first time I ran isinteg -patch it gave me an error message. Rebooted and it worked ok).
Now I just have to figure out how to get to what I need. I need to extract all emails, contacts etc for just 1 of the users, is there an easy way to do that? If I could get it in a .pst file that would be cool, but I would take text, csv, or anything really.
Old 02-03-03, 11:18 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure what you're talking about. You don't need to use the backup because you fixed the corruption? Then you need to get all of one user's stuff?
Old 02-03-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got it figured out, I was restoring the backup to another computer with exchange. Kind of a pain in the ass, but works nontheless.
Dave
Old 02-03-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dave99. If you are wanting to backup a few user's MBx's, use Exmerge.

The Exchange 2000 Server version of Exmerge is included on the Exchange 2000 Server CD in the Support\Utils\I386\Exmerge folder.

I had only a little trouble implementing it. This article cleared up my permissioning problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;292509

I hope this helps.
Old 02-03-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You will need the white paper from Microsoft's website. It's somewhere at www.microsoft.com/exchange. In the future I would recommend Veritas Netbackup with the Exchange agent and to perform brick level mailbox backup.