Is this HD on its way out?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-01-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello all...

i've got a 4-5 year old 40gb 7200rpm maxtor drive here that has been acting funny lately...

for a while now, accessing things on this drive has been a SLOW process.. also, moving files to/from the drive has taken MUCH longer than it should.

i also can't burn any dvds or cds off of the drive.. my programs just lock up on me when i try (buffer doesn't fill up).

so i moved everything off the drive, defragged, wiped, formatted, and it still acts the same way.

XP's disk management says it's 'healthy', but i don't buy it...

anything i can do to save this drive, or should i toss it? thanks in advance..
Old 02-01-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the xp deffrager isn't that good. The one from symantec is better since it also defrags the paging file.
Old 02-01-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

should have been more clear - i used norton's speed disk to defrag... just used xp's disk management to take a look at the drive, and it said 'healthy'...
Old 02-01-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You could try downloading this app, which will pull the SMART information from the drive. It will give you more info than just 'healthy'
http://www.adenix.net/downloads.html

Dave
Old 02-03-03, 05:05 PM
Banned

Re: Is this HD on its way out?

Originally posted by mkdevo
hello all...

i've got a 4-5 year old 40gb 7200rpm maxtor drive here that has been acting funny lately...

for a while now, accessing things on this drive has been a SLOW process.. also, moving files to/from the drive has taken MUCH longer than it should.

i also can't burn any dvds or cds off of the drive.. my programs just lock up on me when i try (buffer doesn't fill up).

so i moved everything off the drive, defragged, wiped, formatted, and it still acts the same way.

XP's disk management says it's 'healthy', but i don't buy it...

anything i can do to save this drive, or should i toss it? thanks in advance..
I truly think you need to throw it out the window and grind it. I t's true seriosly. If you wiped it and it still went slow then you need a new Hard Drive. A wetel is pretty good
Old 02-03-03, 05:20 PM

Dude, I had the exact same problems. The HD is dying, more than likely. You go on anandtech.com, the forums are full of people with Maxtor problems.

I suggest the following:

1) Download the Powermax utility from the Maxtor website
2) save all your data elsewhere
3) run the first four tests included in Powermax (ONLY do the fifth one, which erases the HD, as a last resort)

If all the tests run fine, you can try to refomat it - first from Powermax, then from Windows.

However, you'll probably be running into some errors. Write the error codes down (six characters each), do all the non-destructive tests (which will probably show two or three error codes, along the lines of Y3HR03) and call Maxtor (1-800-2MAXTOR). The drive is out of warranty, but they should be able to tell you if it's really dead.

The very last thing you can do is try to take the drive out and put it in a Win98 machine, then run all the Powermax utility tests on it. There is a vey slight chance that would bring back the drive to factory specifications. You see, WinXP uses the NTFS format, and some older HDs act weird when they're formatted using this file system. If you do all the Powermax stuff in a FAT32 Windows environment, the recovery is slightly 'more' possible. It doesn't sound very scientific, I know, but as I'm saying, I've been there, and done that.
Old 02-03-03, 05:25 PM

Unlike the newbie who posted before me, I don't advise you to throw away the HD, before you've exhausted all the steps posted in my first message.

Even if Powermax under Windows 98 doesn't work, and the computer is still sluggish when accessing the HD and/or copying to it (copying from it still works, though), I advise you to keep the HD, because if somebody drags Maxtor in a class-action lawsuit, this could be your ticket to replacement hardware...
Old 02-08-03, 06:02 PM
Banned

Playitagainsam are you calling me a rookie? You may have more post than me because you've been here longer than I have but I am no rookie I know what I am talking about.