Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Will a microATX mb fit in a regular sized case?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-01-03, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm replacing the motherboard and cpu in my Micron who's mb died. The board I ordered is a microATX board... will the screw holes line up with the holes in my regular ATX case, or will I need to order a new case?

Brian
Old 02-01-03, 11:47 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm pretty sure it would fit a generic case, but not positive.

I would look up some detailed info about your or other microATX boards and you may be find some mechanical diagrams.
Old 02-03-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've put a microATX board in an ATX case several times and never had a problem. I suppose a proprietary case might not have the other holes for microATX but I can't really imagine why they wouldn't.
Old 02-03-03, 11:52 AM

Actually, I took a closer look at my Micron case, and there are a whole grid of screw holes, so it should fit.

My next issue is, I currently have a 250W power supply, which I'm told might not be enough for the processor/mb I have on the way. the CPU is an AthlonXP 1700+ and the Mobo, if I remember the number right, is an Asus A7N266 (might be A6N266??) It's an nForce 1 mobo in any case. If I do need a bigger PS, where is a good place to buy one from? The local shop has 350 and 400W supplies, but they are like $60+

Brian
Old 02-03-03, 11:56 AM
X
Administrator

I think you'll need a new PS.

You're getting into the price range where you might as well get an Antec case with power supply. I've bought several of their towers for around $70-80. I would think a mini desktop would be even cheaper. And their power supplies are very good.
Old 02-03-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My T-Bird 1.1Ghz is still using the 5-year-old 250-watt Sparkle power supply from my old SuperMicro case. It seems to perform OK.

RD
Old 02-03-03, 03:34 PM

Would a 300W PS be enough, or would I need more? Those Antec cases look nice... I'd think about one if they hold the microATX motherboards.

Brian
Old 02-03-03, 04:00 PM
X
Administrator

I'm not a big PS expert like gcribbs, and the answer will also depend on what other devices and cards you're putting in there. I can tell you that I have an Antec 350W with an overclocked 2400+, three big drives, CD-RW, DVD, three fans, almost all slots filled and a power-hungry video card. The PS seems to be doing just fine.

I can tell you that Antec power supplies are conservatively rated and will handle larger loads than other brands with the same stated wattage. Can you check if Antec gives a CPU recommendation for that wattage?
Old 02-03-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My 1.1Ghz T-Bird has one 80gb 7200 RPM HD, a DVD-ROM, a CD-RW, and 3 of the slots filled (NIC, sound card, video card), and two fans. The video card is an older GeForce2 GTS with 32mb of RAM.

RD
Old 02-04-03, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

linky

this should help. read through the thread that SpacemanSpiff posted at the bottem. Very interesting reading. apparently the sparkle/fortron psu is the best for the money.