I am now officially wireless

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-31-03, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AND IT ROCKS!!

Wow. If I had known then what I now know, I would have done this a long time ago.

Fry's had a killer sale on network equipment I just couldn't pass up. SMC wireless router, normally $129.99, $39.99 after rebate. Network cards, normally $39.99, $14.99 after rebate. So, I bought three cards and the router, ripped apart my old network tonight and "rewired" for wireless (with a backup wired system that was already installed in the walls).

Apparently, I picked the magic spot, because I've got wireless everywhere in the house except for a few small dead pockets (like human sized) and I can use it outside to my property line.

Now I've just got to figure out how to secure this stuff. Any ideas?
Old 01-31-03, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you tried your wifi distance yet? I've always thought about getting wifi ... but I have other things to upgrade first. Sounds real cool though.

What are you particular reasons why you like it? (obvious and maybe not so obvious?)
Old 01-31-03, 08:25 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I love my wireless setup. My new laptop has built in wireless, so when I'm home I just pop open the lid to resume and it finds my network. When I'm at work, I do the same.

I live in an apartment, and it seems that I'm barely in range of another access point. As far as security goes, I use WEP, only allow connections from hard coded MAC addresses, and I unplug the access point when not in use.

The benefit for me is I don't have to drag out my long network cable to use the laptop from my couch. If I need to transfer large files, I can still plug in to my router. I'm very happy with the access point I got for 39 cents(price matching+rebate). Now if only they could figure out a way to charge a laptop without plugging it in, I'd be all set.
Old 01-31-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like distance carries me right to edge of most (90%) of my property. The far end of the driveway isn't accessable, nor the east side of the house. There is some overlap onto the three streets surrounding the rest of my house.

It's great with a laptop, as you just open and go, no wires or anything. My best friend and neighbor also has wifi, and I can walk to his house with only a minimal break in connection (as it switches from my network to his). With hardwired PCs, it's not quite as cool, and since my house is wired with 10/100, in some cases not optimal either, but it is nice to finally be able to put computers in places I didn't anticipate and there's no nearby network drop.
Old 01-31-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We have our laptop hooked up for wireless and it's great. Right now we're just in a small duplex, but we're building a house. Hopefully I'll be able to get by with just one access point.