Abit KT7 Motherboard - Max CPU it can take

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-30-03, 04:21 PM
J_J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have a two year old pc with an Abit KT7 motherboard, I got a AMD Socket A Thunderbird 850Mhz chip in it.

I see the prices of CPU's are much cheaper and wondered if anyone has the same board and knows what the max cpu I can put in this.

Looked on some sites but could not find a definitive answer.

Just want to get some more life from the motherboard if I can and just change the CPU.

Thanks.

JJ
Old 01-30-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can go to a 1.4 ghz Athlon and supposedly even an Athlon XP, but I couldn't find a lot of info on that. I don't know how much of a performance boost you'd actually see, though, since you are limited to SD-RAM
Old 01-30-03, 08:14 PM
J_J

Thanks BigPete,

I guess I could double the cpu speed then. I'll take a look at prices for these cpu's. Got 768mb PC133 memory so it does fly in applications.

Spending $50 on a cpu would at least keep my costs down for a while, then I could splurge on a new mb and memory next year.

Thanks

JJ
Old 01-30-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As listed on abit's site: 4. Does ABIT KG7 / KT7A / KT7E mainboard support AMD Athlon XP processors?
Statement: ABIT KG7 / KG7-RAID mainboard is hardware compatible (ready) and can support AMD Athlon XP processor via BIOS update.
ABIT KT7A / KT7A-RAID V1.3 mainboard is hardware compatible (ready) and can support AMD Athlon XP processor via BIOS update.
ABIT KT7 / KT7-RAID / KT7E all version and KT7A/KT7A-RAID V1.0/1.1/1.2 cannot support AMD Athlon XP processor.

Ther best you can do with that board is a 1.4 Ghz thunderbird. You can find them on a few of the places listed on www.pricewatch.com but the 1.4 266FSB will cost you about 66, while the 1.4 200 FSB will be 131. Granted, these prices are listed form the cheapest places on pricewatch, so going with a reputable place will cost just a bit more.