Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What Is WAREZ ??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What Is WAREZ ??

Old 01-30-03, 09:46 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 63
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Is WAREZ ??

I Am interested in Warez sites.These are Downloads etc.
What is the deal on these sites.Are they reasonably safe?
I saw some stuff I want to download
Thanks
Old 01-30-03, 10:19 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't talk about pirated software here. You should really read the user agreement on this site before starting threads.
Old 01-30-03, 10:26 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: not CT
Posts: 9,618
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warez = pirated software, usually cracked in some way, and distributed illegally. Often times, the games will lack full functionality like not allowing for online play in games like Q3 and Half Life, and being unable to apply patches to most games without further tweaking.

You may remember a whole bunch of FBI raids around last Christmas ... they were arresting people for producing and distributing 'warez'.
Old 01-30-03, 10:41 AM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 63
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, that pretty much answers my questions.I wasn't sure if this stuff was a scam or what.So its pirated and illegal stuff stuff I wasn't sure if a pop up for CC# would come up or not.I just couldn't believe all this expensive software was there for the downloading.
BTW
Before you have a cow Mopower
I didn't know the stuff was pirated or illegal software thats why I came here to ask out of curiosity before deciding to or not to take advantage of this stuff.
Thanks
Old 01-30-03, 01:16 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by darinart1
Before you have a cow Mopower
I didn't know the stuff was pirated or illegal software thats why I came here to ask out of curiosity before deciding to or not to take advantage of this stuff.
Thanks
No prob, I'm not going to have a cow I just didn't know why you thought you could download software for free? Oh well.
Old 01-30-03, 03:10 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Posts: 29,706
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well they might have a pop up for your CC#, but you wouldn't want to enter it as all it would do is give some punk your number

Originally posted by darinart1
Thanks, that pretty much answers my questions.I wasn't sure if this stuff was a scam or what.So its pirated and illegal stuff stuff I wasn't sure if a pop up for CC# would come up or not.I just couldn't believe all this expensive software was there for the downloading.
BTW
Before you have a cow Mopower
I didn't know the stuff was pirated or illegal software thats why I came here to ask out of curiosity before deciding to or not to take advantage of this stuff.
Thanks
Old 01-31-03, 06:17 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Great White North. Take Off Eh! You hosers ....
Posts: 1,455
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't "warez" originally a play on words for "where is?"

I would personally stay away from warez. Too many issues for the most part.
[Removed "helpful" remark that would get this thread closed. -X]
Of course, that's what I hear.
Old 01-31-03, 08:11 AM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 185
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, it's a play on WARES, as in SOFTWARES.
Old 01-31-03, 04:46 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 922
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, for my part, I've never seen a "real" warez site asking for your CC#... are you sure you aren't thinking of porn?

AFAIK, the whole idea of warez is that some anarchists think software and information should be free, and act accordingly, by making stuff available to the public...
Old 01-31-03, 04:50 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Playitagainsam



AFAIK, the whole idea of warez is that some anarchists think software and information should be free, and act accordingly, by making stuff available to the public...

And also to flood your screen with wave after wave of pop ups...but how would I know?
Old 01-31-03, 09:35 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Great White North. Take Off Eh! You hosers ....
Posts: 1,455
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah ... how did you know that?!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.