Reload this Page >

I think my computer is dying :(

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-30-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on my fathers computer now, as my PC has recently become extremely unstable. For awhile now, if my machine was off for awhile (like anything longer than 1/2 second) it would not boot up when turned on. The power light came on, the fans came on, and the HD light lit for a few seconds, but the monitor never came on, the keyboard lights never came on, and nothing else happened. I've had to turn it off and then on right away to get it too boot... I know this isnt good for the hardware... but luckily I usually leave my computer on all the time.

Well, starting last night, I started having more problems. After I got back from a movie, the computer looked like it was in sleep mode, but when I moved the mouse to wake the PC up, it rebooted instead. It seemed to work fine the rest of the night, and I went to bed. In the morning, the computer was off... so after getting it to reboot, it worked fine... went off to play racquetball, came back... the computer was totally locked up... had to reboot... went to work, came back... had to reboot... THIS time however, the computer kept resetting itself just before it got to the XP login screen. It finally let me in about the 3rd reboot... but not for long... after about 2 minutes... it reset itself... I finally gave up in disgust and turned my computer off...

Any theories about what the problem might be? I'm going to call Micron tomorrow or Friday when I have some more time... I unhooked everything and then hooked it back up... no go...

This is really depressing.

Brian
Old 01-30-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like a bad power supply.
Old 01-30-03, 01:27 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

don't leave your comp on all the time.

oh and zuffy is probably right.
Old 01-30-03, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

more than likely bad power supply.

bad memory can cause some of these symptoms also.
Old 01-30-03, 05:48 AM

well theres another option you might consider here. the computer could just be recieving a stop error. XP by default is set to restart when it recieves a stop error. If this is trully the case then finding this error can lead you to a posible solution.

Try booting to safe mode, tapping f8 as the system boots up...select safe mode only, not with network support. Once in safe mode do this...

start>control panel>system>advanced tab>settings for startup and recovery>uncheck automatically restart>apply>ok>etc.

then restart and let it boot normally. if the computer recieves a stop error instead of simply restarting it should give..weee...blue screen of dea... um information. stuff like windows stop error...blah blah blah.....and important stuff like this....0x0042808 (0x000600,0x683265,etc.)
let us know what the message is exactly because you can type those codes in on MS knowledgebase and for a majority of it you get some rather decent explanations of what they are, their cause, and the resolutions.

or it could be the power supply if so then just replace it.

good luck hope it helps...i'll check laters....
Old 01-30-03, 09:43 AM

It's not even booting now, just the power light and fans come on... so I can't check any error messages. I thought my computer, from Micron, bought it about 2.5 years ago, was still under warranty, but the Micron Tech Support recording says their warranty is 1 year for hardware, and the tech support line for that is something like $2.25 a minute. I think it would be cheaper for me to just pick up a new power supply and try that first.

Brian
Old 01-30-03, 11:14 AM
Banned

Can a bad power supply cause these symptoms?

Computer is PAINFULLY SLOW in booting up. Once past the POST screen it just sits there for 3-4 minutes...Windows XP logo comes up (says it loading) and then right before it goes to desktop it hangs again for another 2-3 minutes. Once it is to the desktop, everything works completely fine and fast!

This all started on my computer yesterday - after I had to do a hard reboot (hold the power button in until the computer shut-off) after a lockup while browsing.

My computer is a Sony VAIO RX580
P4 1.80 GHz
512 MB RAM
80 GB HD

I tried replacing the Hard Drive with a spare I had laying around - same problem...

Could it be my POWER SUPPLY?

Thanks for any and all help!

Mike

[email protected]
Old 01-30-03, 08:37 PM

Apparently my problem wasn't the power supply, as I installed a new one, and I'm still having the same problem. The power light comes on, the fans spin up, and the HDD light comes on for several seconds, then turns off. The monitor never comes on, the keyboard light never comes on, and there are no POST beeps. Everything is plugged in firmly and well seated in their slots, I triple checked.

Motherboard gone bad maybe?

Brian
Old 01-30-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Either the mobo or memory. Memory reseated correctly? Hmm, maybe the CPU is loose?
Old 01-30-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try reseating the memory & CPU. If that don't work, start removing all the peripherals except for the video card. If that work, then add one card back at a time.
Old 01-30-03, 09:15 PM

Yeah, I tried all of that after I found the new power supply didn't help.
Old 01-30-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess it's a good time to get a new PC
Old 01-31-03, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Motherboard gone bad maybe?
Yes, it sounds like motherboard problems I've encountered. If you can replace your mainboard (ie it isn't proprietary) you could try ordering one from a place like Newegg. Asus is a good make if reliability is a prime goal.

The two times I have seen power supply problems, the machines simply didn't power up.

RD
Old 01-31-03, 01:44 AM

zuffy: I wish I could afford a whole new PC...

Divx: Get in the IRC channel man, I'm the only one there! I'll see what newegg has... it's a p3 733 on a Tyan Trinity 400 (or the Micron version of that, anyway)

Brian
Old 01-31-03, 01:54 AM

Assuming it is the MB, can anyone recommend a good replacement? I wouldnt even be against a new CPU/MB combo, as long as it was inexpensive (under $200). I'll have to figure out how to recover some of my files from my HD too.

Brian
Old 01-31-03, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oooooohhhhh ... you can many, many great cpu/mobo combos for under 200 bucks including tax and shipping.

How about an NForce2 mobo for 88 bucks from Newegg (you can probably find this cheaper somewhere else online - check the usual deal sites for tips or anandtech.com)

Epox Motherboard for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# EP-8RDA
Specifications:
CPU Supported: AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron processors
Chipset: nForce2
FSB: 333MHz Max
RAM: 3x DDR SDRAM PC3200, 3GB Max
IDE: 2x E/IDE Ultra DMA/133
Slots: 1x AGP(8X), 6x PCI(32-bit)
Ports: 2x PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard, 2x Serial, 1x Parallel, 2x USB
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC650E 2-channel audio

Here's an AMD Athlon XP proc. Try to find a T-bred b version as they can supposedly overclock like a mother on air past 2Ghz effectively saving you big bucks. 52 bucks.

AMD Athlon XP 1700+ Thoroughbred /266 FSB Processor CPU 1700+/ 1.47GHz -OEM, AXDA1700DLT3C The Ultimate Digital Media Experience in an x86 Platform.Tailored for Microsoft® Windows® XP. Featuring QuantiSpeed Architecture for Rapid Execution of Applications. Tomorrow’s Technology Today.The Power of a Reliable Partner.
Specifications:
CPU: 1.47 GHz
Type: 1700 XP
Cache: 256K
BUS: 266MHz
Micron: .13
Socket A (PGA)

140 bucks total before shipping and taxes. You can probably do a bit better if you look around. That's a great combo.

Good luck.

Additionally, you can hook up your old HDD as a slave drive to another comp and migrate your important info there. I'm sure there may be a more elegant approach but that's my first thought in your situation.

Last edited by bill_n_opus; 01-31-03 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-31-03, 09:19 AM
Banned

Can you boot from a floppy? I'm thinking that you should check your HD and if it's good then reformat it and reinstall windows. But only do this if it boots reliably from a floppy.
Old 01-31-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You didn't have to reinstall the OS with Win2K when moving to a new HD, mainboard, CPU, or combination thereof, and I doubt you have to do it with WinXP, either.

If you want to check the HD for physical defects, you can use the built-in utilities bundled with the OS.

RD
Old 01-31-03, 05:13 PM

Here is what I have in my NewEgg cart so far:

Asus A7N266-VM AA (AMD Assured Version) NVIDIA nFORCE 220 Chipset 266/200MHz FSB Motherboard Micro ATX- Retail
Socket A AMD Duron, Athlon, and Athlon XP up to 2600+
nForce 220D: NVIDIA IGP-64 north bridge and NVIDIA MCP-D south bridge
FSB:266/200 MHz
2 DIMM sockets support max. 1GB unbuffered PC2100/1600 non-ECC RAM
Slots:3x PCI 1xAGP PRO 4x
Onboard LAN:10/100 Mbps
Integrated AC97and Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC-3) Encoder Audio
Integrated Nvidia Nforce GeFORCE2 Video.

AMD Athlon XP 1700+/266 FSB Thorougbred Processor CPU 1700+/ 1.47GHz -Retail, AXDA1700BOX
3 Years Warranty with heatsink and cooling fan. The Ultimate Digital Media Experience in an x86 Platform.Tailored for Microsoft® Windows® XP. Featuring QuantiSpeed Architecture for Rapid Execution of Applications. Tomorrow’s Technology Today.The Power of a Reliable Partner.
Specifications:
CPU: 1.47 GHz
Type: 1700 XP
Cache: 256K
BUS: 266MHz
Micron: .13
Socket A (PGA) Retail (Box with Heatsink and Fan)

Looking for a good price on ram still... should I get a new case, or use my existing case from Micron? (It has 2 big 4" cooling fans in the back, is this enough to keep an Athlon XP 1700+ cool?)

**edit**

Found some Crucial PC2100 ram, $48 for 256 megs, so I added that, and placed my order. I'll just use the case I have for now.

I think I'll probably just go ahead an use the integrated video and sound, since it's equal too or better than what my seperate cards are.

Brian

Brian

Last edited by bdshort; 01-31-03 at 06:10 PM.