Reload this Page >

Ghosting HD from one laptop to different laptop

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-29-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know of an easy way of ghosting a hard drive from one laptop (a Toshiba Tecra 8200) to another laptop (a Compaq Evo N800c) so that you don't get a "inaccessible boot device" error screen when boot the hard drive in the new laptop after it's been ghosted?
Old 01-29-03, 12:05 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like they have different IDE controllers.

What OS?

If it's Win2K or XP you could try booting from the install CD and doing a boot repair. It might put the correct driver on there for you.

If that doesn't work you might be forced to use Sysprep on the original OS. Of course you'd want a Ghost copy of the OS first so you could restore it.
Old 01-29-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's W2K.

Good catch on the IDE controller (most likely that's the problem.

I've been doing the 1st suggestion, so far, it seems to be working, will have to test out all the applications after I reload the necessary drivers for the new laptop (which is a chore!)

Much Grass!
Old 01-29-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Patman,

There is a simple solution thats works in most cases.

BEFORE you ghost, boot the OS, go into the device manager, into the IDE controller properties, choose UPGRADE DRIVER, then select to install the driver manually (don't let it search for one) select the Standard Dual Channel IDE controller that is built into windows, say OK.

Now Ghost it, the first boot in the new machine should force a hardware recognize so have drivers ready if you need them. You can choose to install the proper chipset drivers for you new IDE controller if you want or you can just leave it at standard (slightly lower performance, but less headache if you ever ghost it again)
Old 01-30-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, another good idea. I may give that a try tomorrow if I have some free time.
Old 01-31-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The IDE thingamajig worked out well. I've been all day ghosting the original laptop HD and blasting it on the new laptop HD and reloading all the device drivers (even had to go find the USB controller driver from Microsoft as an update) and all the other Windows updates. Whew! My mouse click finger is tired.
Old 01-31-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I take donations
Old 01-31-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!

The darn Lucent Winmodem driver won't install.

I have 2 different W2K partitions. I got the Compaq V.92 modem to install on one partition, but the exact same setup/install modem program won't install the modem correctly on this other W2K partition.

If I try to manually install, when I point to the the inf file, I get nothing in the box showing that Windows recognizes it, so there's nothing to install as far as Windows is concerned.

I'm stumped. I've done all the Windows updates, it's up to service pack 3 as well.
Old 01-31-03, 08:04 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is another modem already installed?
Old 02-01-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No, I've stripped out any modems, tried to do a clean install using the modem setup.exe, but the modem detection program keep reporting a "modem not found" error message each time I try to install, and also whenever I reboot and log into W2K.

It's like it doesn't like the inf file that's being used with the setup.exe for the modem install, but I don't know why the inf file is hosed, or something else is strange in W2K to not allow it to run the instruction in the inf file.

I tried installing it through the device manager, but the modem queries fail once the driver is loaded, and on the next reboot/login, I get the same "modem not found" error from the modem monitor startup program.