Reload this Page >

Best places to buy memory?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-28-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to buy some more memory. I currently only have 64MB of Ram and I want to upgrade to atleast 128 or more. I just bought a new computer and now my old 1 just seems so slow. The old computer uses pc100. Could someone please recommend how much memory I should add to make my old system a little better? I am running Win 98 on it. I also need to know of some places to buy the memory at as well. Thank you.
Old 01-28-03, 09:34 AM

Not to steal the the thread, but I have a memory question as well. I need to pick up some laptop memory for my girlfriend's Dell Latitude cpx series laptop. I think she has 2 64MB simms, but can support up to 512. Is laptop memory all the same, or is there specific for just that model etc. Also any idea where a cheap place is to pick some up.
Old 01-28-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
www.crucial.com

i bought some from them, and the stick had the same label as the dell one.

for win'98, you probably won't need anything over 256, unless you're doing highly strenuous activities (in which case, you shouldn't be running '98 anyways). it also depends on what speed your cpu is.

if you're running a generic computer, check the MB manual to see what size sticks it supports. if you don't know, then (2) 128 sticks should be fine.
Old 01-28-03, 10:00 AM

I have a 400 Mhz processor and I don't know what brand the motherboard is. I had it upgraded at a local shop a few years ago and don't remember which board they installed. It originally only had 32 MB of ram but I was given another 32MB chip by a friend. I would have to remove 1 stick because the board only has 2 slots for memory.
Old 01-28-03, 10:37 AM
X
Administrator

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
As for places to buy the memory...

You should find out exactly what type you need. Then look for sales at Best Buy, Staples, places like that. They've had sales and rebate deals that almost give away the memory.

I also recommend checking prices at googlegear.com. I recently bought some there at the best price I could find.
Old 01-28-03, 11:47 AM

If you don't mind used parts for the old computer, check for a Computer Swap Meet in your area. You can find some great prices. I recently picked up 128MB 168pin DIMM SDRAM for $10 each.

EDIT: BTW, it was PC100 memory.

Last edited by digitalmanAZ; 01-28-03 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-27-03, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
CHEAP bump

[and looking for two 512MB PC2700 533Mhz 184Pin]
Old 08-27-03, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it might be better for you to buy some in a regular store rather then online. Would make returning it easier if you have issues.