Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody use software to sync Cell phone with PC?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-28-03, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a Sonyericsson T68i cell phone and I want to sync my calendar and contacts from my pc to my phone. I see that you can buy data usb cables on ebay. Has anyone tried these? Any other help or suggestions with this phone? I dont want to have to spend a ton downloading stuff using mMode. Thanks.
Old 01-28-03, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used some software called FoneSync about two or three years ago when I got a Nokia. I used it once or twice, but then it just became such a hassle I never do it anymore. I guess it all depends on how often you add new contacts. For me, not that often.
Old 01-28-03, 03:15 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have access to a laptop you could utilize the infrared or Bluetooth capabilities of your phone to sync the calendar and contacts. As far as software goes, I've never tried looking before so I don't know what you'd need for the T68. (I have a T68m for use with Cingular)

-BT
Old 01-28-03, 04:57 PM

Xanger-
With att you still can use fonesync, but you can only access that info by using mMode, which you are charged by byte, if you go over your allowed amount.

BT-
I am sure our phones are the same, mine does have infrafred and bluetooth, but my pc does not have either. To buy a bluetooth port for my pc would run close to $200.

While this may be possible to sync, I would like to keep it cheap. It would just be very handy to have all of my calendar info readily availible on my phone. I could also add contacts and pics, ringtones very easily and faster.
Old 01-28-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know what mMode or any of that is. It's been like three years since I've done it. When I got my phone it came with all the FoneSync stuff. Are you saying now to sync up, you have to go through your cellular company? That's nuts. With mine, you could use infrared or the Serial cable that came with it. That was like pairing brand new technology with stone age, .
Old 01-28-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The T68(i, m or ie) has software included to synch with a PC. It has both stand alone software and XTNDConnect to be used with Outlook. The stand alone software is simple but does want I needed to do. The XTNDConnect is nice for calender features from Outlook. I have a laptop so I use the IR to transfer ringtones and pics using XP's built in file transfer features. If you did not get the CD with the phone you can download the stuff from the sonyericsson website.

To connect the phone to a PC you can use a serial cable, the IR or bluetooth. The serial cable should be the cheapest root ($10-$20). I'm not sure why it would cost you $200 to add bluetooth to you're PC though. Compusa sell's a USB bluetooth adapter for $40. I'm sure you got find a cheaper one elsewhere.
Old 01-29-03, 01:37 AM

Thanks Kdogg, that helps. I did NOT receive a cd, I will check on that. I think I will check compusa for the usb bluetooth adapter. Thanks again.
Old 01-29-03, 04:27 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

XTND Connect

If link does not work work, go to Sony Ericsson website.

Go to whatever country you are in. Click on the picture of the T68i. Goto Support, then goto Global Support.

And all the stuff you could want to download is there.

SE does not ship software CD-ROMs with phones... well, at least with the T68x series... and I am about 80% of the T300 and prior phones...