Reload this Page >

Password and Auto-Complete retention?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-27-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how to edit the Password list in Windows XP or 2000? I must have accidently hit "no" when the popup asked if I wanted to save a particular password and now whenever I go to that site I have to enter it manually instead of it popping into the field automatically. My other passwords are fine. Is there a list where these are kept somewhere in the registry or a file? Also is there a similar way to edit the contents of an Auto-Complete drop-down? Mine are littered with misspells and the one I want to use is always at the bottom of the list. Thanks.
Old 01-27-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For your Auto-Complete problem, all you need to do is press delete as the mouse hovers over the misspelled entry in the drop down menu.

Alternatively, you can go to "Control Panel"/"Internet Options..." and then click the "Content" tab. Click on the "AutoComplete..." button to bring up a dialog box where you can clear out all AutoComplete entries and passwords. I think you can also turn the option to store passwords back on, but I'm not exactly sure how that'll work. You'll have to mess with it until it works.
Old 01-27-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

go over to www.pcmag.com

They have a utility, somewhere, that can do what you want. I can't remember what it'sc alled, though.
Old 01-27-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the tips!
Old 05-02-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

how about having XP/IE6 actually using the auto complete when it saves passwords? Everytime I go to a site(such as this 1) where I may need to resign in it never does it for me, even after I say yes to the password save. anyone know how to fix this?