Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

networking win95 and xp... how do I do it?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-27-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished putting togeather my old pc, and now I want them to be networked togeather, how do I go about doing this? I have a Linksys cable/dsl 4 port router and added the network card to the old pc, but when I try to set it up to see my pc (XP) i get a blank. I also want to be able to share the internet connection that I have through charter communications, but they say that I have to pay a extra $10 a month to be ableto do this even though I had no problem sharing a connection on my pc and my brothers when I had Comcast. Is there a way around this as well?

bunches and bunches of questions... That is what I have.
Old 01-27-03, 02:15 PM
Mod Emeritus

The router will allow you to share the internet connection. Depending on the providers setup, you may have to change some settings in the router so that it will look (to their network) like it's the network card that they have configured.

As for simply setting the boxes up, it's easiest to configure both to use DHCP and let them get their IP addresses from the router. Of course, both need to have TCP/IP installed as a protocol in the network configuration. Do you know if this has been done yet (I'm guessing it has, but I want to make sure)? Also, when you say "to see my pc I get a blank", are you saying that you are looking at the XP box in Network Neighborhood? Do you have anything set up on the XP box as shared yet? If not, then that may explain why you aren't seeing anything.
Old 01-28-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had the same situation when I got my new PC with XP. Go into the properties of your network connection of the XP machine. I'm not at my PC at the moment, but I believe there is an advanced tab or such which will show a firewall setting (this is the XP built-in firewall). Disable it and you will have access.
Old 01-28-03, 03:15 PM

I have the firewall that is built into xp turned off, but I can still not access the internet through my router.

How about we do it this way.. what do I have to do step by step to get this stupid thing to work. I would be happy just to be able to get this pc online through it at this point as I want to play xbox live and I can not do that through the router as it is right now. Do I have to config the router or something?
Old 01-28-03, 04:18 PM

I'm having a problem with my Win98 unit communicating with my WinXP one. I can retrive files from 89 to Xp, but not the other way around. I'v enabled file sharing on both machine but to no avail...
Old 01-28-03, 05:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by tjr2mental
I have the firewall that is built into xp turned off, but I can still not access the internet through my router.
Configure both systems to use TCP/IP and DHCP and let them get their IP addresses from the router. Right click Network Neighborhood and select Properties, then right click you lan connection (assuming it's showing up) and select Properties to get to the point of doing these two. Once you've done this, click start, run and type "command" to get a DOS box. In the box type ipconfig (winipcfg in win9x) to see if the cards are getting addresses properly. These addresses should be in a range that can be set on (or defined as a default) in your router. At this point you should be able to use "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" to demonstrate communication between the two boxes and with the router. You should also be able to reach the internet with both.
Old 01-29-03, 10:04 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you Dead! That did the trick,and now both pc's are up and running on the web, and see each other.

10 bucks a month extra my butt! It is times like this that remind me why I love this place so much.

Thanks again!
Old 04-02-03, 01:29 AM

ok, I have been at this for probably a lot longer than i need to be...
I am trying to connect 2 XP computers with ICS and i cannot get the client computer online
the host computer seems to be hooked up right...it pings correctly i think
my setup is 2 NICs a Cable/DSL router and I am trying to share a dial up connection using ICS (I hope I have the setup right at least)
I can't see what I am doing wrong, I searched all through here and I went to http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._ics/index.htm as reccomended and still my client computer will not go online, I can't even share files through the router (would a crossover cable be better for that)
I hope that makes sense I just want to share my crap dial up connection, I hope someone can help!!