Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about dubbing...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-25-03, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple weeks ago I asked a friend to transfer some home movies from 8mm to DVDr. He finished 'em yesterday.

Now here's the problem..

My girlfriend wants to send a copy to her Mom for her b-day [which is in 5 days]. My friend is in another state. Even if he dropped everything [which i'm sure he wouldn't. he's my friend, not my b*tch ], there's no way I could get it out there in time.

So my question is this...

Is there any way that I could copy it? I don't have a DVD recorder, I just have a regular CD-R & DVD-R. As far as software, I use NERO.

Is this a possiblity or am I S.O.L.?
Old 01-25-03, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where is the DVD-R now? Do you have them or does he have them? How many discs are there?

If your friend made them yesterday does he still have them, or do you have them? If you have them how did he get them to you so fast? You could send them back (overnight) and he could dupe them then send them directly to your girlfriend's mom. But, this is all just speculation. Until we know more facts we can't make better recommendations.

If you don't have a DVD burner you can't make a copy. You could try to see if a local company offers a DVD duplicating service. Or, you could dump the video from the DVD to your hard drive (space permitting) then burn it onto a DVD again once you buy a burner (this would make a great excuse).

Let us know more.
Old 01-25-03, 07:13 AM
Mod Emeritus

I know NOTHING....

....that disclaimer out of the way, here are some half-baked thoughts:
  • maybe your friend still has the raw data and could easily run off another DVD without reference to the original 8mm
  • perhaps you could "rip" the DVD to your own hard drive and make a VCD copy with your existing CD-burner
  • as time is short, you could send your brand spanking new DVD to your girlfriend's mom and surreptitiously borrow it some time down the line when you have copying facilities lined up!
Old 01-25-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Hey Guys.

Thanks for the quick response. Here are the answers

Where is the DVD-R now? Do you have them or does he have them? How many discs are there?

I have 'em. There's just 1.

If your friend made them yesterday does he still have them, or do you have them? If you have them how did he get them to you so fast? You could send them back (overnight) and he could dupe them then send them directly to your girlfriend's mom. But, this is all just speculation. Until we know more facts we can't make better recommendations. maybe your friend still has the raw data and could easily run off another DVD without reference to the original 8mm.

I have 'em. He sent 'em to me. He's not at his home. He's on vacation at his folk's house in another state.

If you don't have a DVD burner you can't make a copy. You could try to see if a local company offers a DVD duplicating service. Or, you could dump the video from the DVD to your hard drive (space permitting) then burn it onto a DVD again once you buy a burner (this would make a great excuse). Perhaps you could "rip" the DVD to your own hard drive and make a VCD copy with your existing CD-burner. As time is short, you could send your brand spanking new DVD to your girlfriend's mom and surreptitiously borrow it some time down the line when you have copying facilities lined up!

Which, like karnblack said, would make a good excuse to get a DVD burner.

I assume i'll get the answer once I buy the DVD burner, but it would be possible to dub it once I get the burner, right? I'm familiar with dubbing CD-Rs [put one disc in the CDrom & the other in the CD-R to burn], but i'm not familiar with DVD burners & want to be positive before I buy one. [I want to be sure I can have my "See, I told you it would work!" face ready for my girlfriend. ]

Thanks again guys & I apologize for my ignorance.
Old 01-25-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I think dvd burners will dub a dvdr made form non-copy protected stuff, which would be the case with this dvd
or make a vcd. any dvd player that can play a dvdr should be able to play a cdr vcd
Old 01-25-03, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: I know NOTHING....

Originally posted by benedict
perhaps you could "rip" the DVD to your own hard drive and make a VCD copy with your existing CD-burner
How long is the DVD? You could rip it and convert to VCD (or SVCD), but might take up many discs.

If you get access to a DVD burner, I think you can rip an image of the DVD-R and then burn yourself another copy (I'm not entirely sure, even though I've had a DVD burner for about a month).
Old 01-26-03, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have a burner yet, but I think that since your DVD doesn't have copy protection you can just drag the contents from the DVD to a folder on your hard drive using Windows explorer. Getting it onto another DVD-R once you have your new burner should be easy, but don't take my word for it. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in here.

You could try dragging the files from the DVD to your hard drive and see if your computer DVD player can play the files directly from the hard drive. At least that way you know you have the video saved and that it works. You can sort the rest out later.
Old 01-26-03, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Could also go the mini-DVD route. Only problem is that it only fits like 20 min a cd