Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Apple Breaks New Ground Yet Again-- 17" Powerbook

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Apple Breaks New Ground Yet Again-- 17" Powerbook

Old 01-07-03, 07:13 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,044
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apple Breaks New Ground Yet Again-- 17" Powerbook



$3300

12" version also available.
Old 01-07-03, 07:25 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Region 1
Posts: 16,291
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet but still too heavy and pricey.
Old 01-07-03, 07:40 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,044
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would probable buy it (if I needed the upgrade--my pismo powerbook is holding out great) but couldn't the geniouses at Apple figure out one thing: If your going to make such a massive laptop, wouldn't it be better to have the keyboard full size? I mean, look at all the space on the sides! There is certainly room for a larger keyboard.
Old 01-07-03, 08:17 PM
  #4  
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: leave me alone!
Posts: 1,347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by diacritic
but couldn't the geniouses at Apple figure out one thing: If your going to make such a massive laptop, wouldn't it be better to have the keyboard full size? I mean, look at all the space on the sides! There is certainly room for a larger keyboard.
That's not 'space', they're speakers. Considering Apple Laptops are marketed towards Professional film makers, Artists and Sound Editors, I would say that space is perfect for stereo speakers.
Old 01-07-03, 08:30 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,044
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DarthMarklar
That's not 'space', they're speakers. Considering Apple Laptops are marketed towards Professional film makers, Artists and Sound Editors, I would say that space is perfect for stereo speakers.
Slide the keyboard down and place those (beautiful) speakers above the keyboard? Anyway, I think speakers that large are not necessary even for professional film makers, as the half-inch titanium housing does not make for the greatest speaker boxes. I would take a large keyboard over large speakers any day (but probably because I do a lot of typing).
Old 01-07-03, 08:41 PM
  #6  
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: leave me alone!
Posts: 1,347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by diacritic
I think speakers that large are not necessary even for professional film makers, as the half-inch titanium housing does not make for the greatest speaker boxes.
That's probably why they're so big. They don't have much room for depth so they have to go wide. And, yes, (don't take this the wrong way) if you do a lot of typing, then you're probably in the lower percentile of Mac users that do a lot of typing. Most Mac users don't use the keyboard since the modifier keys are all you really need when designing or editing which is basically what it's geared for.

But also, I have the old Titanium laptop and it's keys are 'full sized' I wouldn't doubt if the new laptops are full sized too. They just look small because the computer is so big and it doesn't have the number pad of the right hand side.
Old 01-08-03, 06:25 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 309
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geez.. I wish I was rich. I would love to buy that.
Old 01-08-03, 09:32 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,402
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to bad its still an apple
I heard quake is finally coming out for it!

J/K, but they really never have any software do they?
Old 01-08-03, 10:07 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 9,814
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by zuffy
Sweet but still too heavy and pricey.
Yup!
Old 01-08-03, 10:57 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A suburbČ of Miami
Posts: 5,943
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a reason nobody has done a 17" laptop before: laptops are supposed to be small. It's kind of their whole point.
Old 01-08-03, 11:13 AM
  #11  
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: leave me alone!
Posts: 1,347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by discostu1337
I heard quake is finally coming out for it!
Finally? I've had Quake on my Mac for almost over 3 years now.
Old 01-08-03, 11:17 AM
  #12  
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: leave me alone!
Posts: 1,347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama
There's a reason nobody has done a 17" laptop before: laptops are supposed to be small. It's kind of their whole point.
I think you're comparing incorrectly. The 17" Laptop isn't geared for your average college student who types term papers on the run (then yes, I'd agree it's too big). It's meant as a 'potable' video station. Most people (in the video industry) use Mac laptops because they can do the same thing as an entire AVID system can. And considering an AVID can take up an entire room, I'd say this laptop is MUCH more portable
Old 01-08-03, 12:16 PM
  #13  
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 8,205
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sad thing is, at 6.8 lbs., it will weigh less than the new Dell with 15" screen I'm getting.
Old 01-08-03, 01:18 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other than software being written for mac, why pay extra for one? It's basically a PC with a motorola CPU instead of Intel or AMD. And a different OS. Why can't the apps be written to win2000 or xp? Then you can get the same laptop for a cheaper price.
Old 01-08-03, 02:03 PM
  #15  
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: leave me alone!
Posts: 1,347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by teplitsa
Other than software being written for mac, why pay extra for one?
Video editors and Graphic Artists (who produce print materials) use Macs because PC's don't produce colors as correctly as Macs can. PC's have been getting better over the years, but if you've ever used a Mac and PC side by side, you'll notice that Macs mange color MUCH better than PC's. Considering Video and Print need to previewed (on the screen) as precisely as possible, most people (Designers and editors) go with Macs.

I have been using Macs since the early 90's, I've been using a PC for the past 5 or 6 years now and I will admit that I've replaced my Mac at home with a PC because I use it mainly for the Internet and Non-Print materials. If I know something is going to be viewed soley on a PC or Internet, I'll stick with the PC to stay native, but when I need to design anything that needs 'precise' colors, I ALWAYS turn to my Mac G4 tower or G4 Laptop, there's just no comparison on the PC yet.

p.s. The reason why Macs seem so expensive is because they usually give you all the bells and whistles (i.e. Firewire Cards, Gigabit Network cards, S-Video outs, etc.) so there's NEVER a need to add additional equipment or upgrade. Since they're aimed at video professionals, it's something that you definitely want. They don't do that with PC's because not every PC owner needs all of that kind of stuff. Which is the main reason why Macs aren't as popular, they're not aimed at your 'typical' home computer audience.
Old 01-08-03, 02:09 PM
  #16  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,931
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I saw the commericials encouraging me to switch to Mac. All the people were saying things like "I'm a complete dumbass, so I had to get a Mac...it's for 'special' people like me." Since I'm not a dumbass, I guess it's okay for me to stick with PC?
Old 01-08-03, 02:26 PM
  #17  
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: leave me alone!
Posts: 1,347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I saw the commericials encouraging me to switch to Mac. All the people were saying things like "I'm a complete dumbass, so I had to get a Mac...it's for 'special' people like me." Since I'm not a dumbass, I guess it's okay for me to stick with PC?
Yeah, Macs made some dumb marketing mistakes when they first came out. Since most people who do design and editing already own Macs, there'd be no reason to convert the "PC only" users. Unless you're doing graphic deisng/Print work on a PC, then I'd suggest you switch, but other than that, I don't see why.
Old 01-08-03, 02:27 PM
  #18  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,767
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I saw the commericials encouraging me to switch to Mac. All the people were saying things like "I'm a complete dumbass, so I had to get a Mac...it's for 'special' people like me." Since I'm not a dumbass, I guess it's okay for me to stick with PC?
Uhh... you better get the Mac.
Old 01-08-03, 02:37 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,847
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by AndyCapps
The sad thing is, at 6.8 lbs., it will weigh less than the new Dell with 15" screen I'm getting.

The 8200? I have the 8100 and it sure is a Beast! I contemplated the Apple Ti simply because of it's shear beauty, something that any Windows Based laptop (Save a few sony ones) lack, but I couldn't justify it because I'm mostly playing games and doing school work on the thing.
Old 01-08-03, 02:47 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 16,768
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My TiBook is fine for me... I've had it for a year and its replaced my desktop. Don't feel the need to "upgrade."
Old 01-08-03, 03:18 PM
  #21  
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 8,205
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Ergyu
The 8200? I have the 8100 and it sure is a Beast!
Latitude C840. It will be my new work laptop.
Old 01-08-03, 03:36 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A suburbČ of Miami
Posts: 5,943
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DarthMarklar
I think you're comparing incorrectly. The 17" Laptop isn't geared for your average college student who types term papers on the run (then yes, I'd agree it's too big). It's meant as a 'potable' video station. Most people (in the video industry) use Mac laptops because they can do the same thing as an entire AVID system can. And considering an AVID can take up an entire room, I'd say this laptop is MUCH more portable
I'm pretty much just responding to the claims that Apple is breaking new ground with this product. It's a bigass laptop.
Old 01-08-03, 04:06 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Bristol, CT USA
Posts: 1,861
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DarthMarklar
Video editors and Graphic Artists (who produce print materials) use Macs because PC's don't produce colors as correctly as Macs can. PC's have been getting better over the years, but if you've ever used a Mac and PC side by side, you'll notice that Macs mange color MUCH better than PC's. Considering Video and Print need to previewed (on the screen) as precisely as possible, most people (Designers and editors) go with Macs.
I disagree. In the past, this was certainly true. But from Win98 on Microsoft has done a great job of supporting color management. Now it's just as easy to profile a PC as it is a Mac. In fact, at the company I work at, we use PCs almost exclusively now for all the print publishing we do.
Old 01-08-03, 05:43 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,044
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama
There's a reason nobody has done a 17" laptop before: laptops are supposed to be small. It's kind of their whole point.
That is precisely why it is groundbreaking: nobody did it before. Apple does things that other companies fear to even think about. Most of their innovations have been copied (or, quite plainly, stolen). I am sure it won't be long before there will be a windows-based 17" laptop. The laptop is still thin, only wider and those who appreciate a larger screen will certainly make the sacrifice. Image the looks you will get when watching Lord of the Rings on this thing in an airplane!
Old 01-08-03, 06:03 PM
  #25  
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: leave me alone!
Posts: 1,347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by danw
I disagree. In the past, this was certainly true. But from Win98 on Microsoft has done a great job of supporting color management. Now it's just as easy to profile a PC as it is a Mac. In fact, at the company I work at, we use PCs almost exclusively now for all the print publishing we do.
I've had a Mac and a PC side by side for the past 6 years now. The Mac: from OS7 to OSX (Jaguar) and the PC: Win3.1 to XP and having their screens side by side, I can honestly say the Macs are better. Sure, PC's have been able to add color profiles and manage better than before, but I've yet to find a PC that can callibrate it's colors like the Mac can. PC's have always been slightly darker.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.