Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help...problem with Power DVD

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-30-02, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm having problem with Power DVD Deluxe 4.0 (also Win DVD Platinum)...

When I play a Karaoke DVD /Musical DVD in my computer, it works fine only if I don't do anything else. When I tried to open Internet Explorer and scroll through the web page or go into any chat room, the sound and picture of the DVD would jerk real bad...It'd paused for couple second then played and paused then played...
If I minimize the browser or the chat room, then the DVD would play normal, but same thing re-occured when I maximize the browser or the chat room.

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated

My computer:
Dell Dimension 4400
Pentium 4 , 1.9 GHz
512 MB of Ram
Win XP Pro-Service Pack 1

(Just bought a Dell Dimension 4500 and it does same thing )
Old 12-30-02, 06:33 PM
X
Administrator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
But movie DVDs act fine?
Old 12-30-02, 06:47 PM

Hi X...

Just pop Basic Instinct DVD in my computer to try it out before answering your question (as I have not played any movie DVD on my computer before)....

... and yes, it does same thing... the screen and sound just paused for couple of second and played again, when I scroll down a web page...
I closed my internet browser and went in a chat room, same thing happened...the sound and screen jerked really bad when there are alot of text chat in the room!

Last edited by money; 12-30-02 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-30-02, 07:08 PM
X
Administrator

Sounds like you don't have DMA enabled. XP is supposed to do it fairly automatically. You did load up the drivers that came with your motherboard, didn't you?

Go into your My Computer->Hardware->Device Manager and open up the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers group. I assume your DVD drive is on the secondary channel? (Although you should do this for both channels in case you're not running DMA for your other devices.) Go into properties of both channels and click on the Advanced Settings tab and make sure the transfer modes are both set to "DMA if available". Just for our info you might tell us what your current transfer mode is.
Old 12-30-02, 07:22 PM

I followed X instructions

Here is what I see:

Primary IDE Channel/Advance Settings

Device 0
Device Type : Auto Detection (grayed out)
Transfer Mode : DMA If Available
Current Transfer Mode : Ultra DMA Mode 5

Device 1
Device Type : Auto Detection
Current Transfer Mode : Not Applicable

Secondary IDE Channel/Advance Settings

Device 0
Device Type : Auto Detection (grayed out)
Current Transfer Mode : Ultra DMA Mode 2

Device 1
Device Type : Auto Detection
Current Transfer Mode : Not Applicable

Last edited by money; 12-30-02 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-30-02, 09:34 PM
X
Administrator

If you only have a hard drive and a DVD-ROM this looks ok. Is this the case?

If so, we can pursue this further by having you run CD/DVD Speed. The graph that it produces helps diagnose throughput issues. You can get it here - http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=download.html

Just get CD Speed as they've incorporated DVD Speed into it now. What you'll be looking for is the slope of graph you get from running a test. If it stays relatively flat, you probably don't have DMA really on. Oh, and you should start playing the DVD with one of your players a few seconds before running the test to get the DVD decryption working.
Old 12-31-02, 12:00 AM

Yes X... all I have in this computer is a hard drive and a DVD-ROM.
Down loaded the CD Speed and ran it after I play a music DVD for about 2 minutes. There are 2 lines in the graph: blue and yellow.

On the Scale of 0x-16x:

The yellow line starts out about 3x... went up to 7x within 30 seconds and stayed pretty much flat the rest of the test.

The blue line also started out about 3x.... went up to about 7x in the same amount of time (about 30 seconds) and from there, climbed almost a straight line up to 15x on the scale.

How does it sound to you X ??? Cause I have no idea

How do I make sure I have DMA on ???
Old 12-31-02, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Just curious here... is the sound/vid card on-board? Its possible that the sound/vid card is not at full acceleration.

Edit: Also, try lowering the bit rate from 32 to 16 bits and close all other programs in the background like the Antivirus scanner. Change the res to 800x600.

Last edited by Ranger; 12-31-02 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-31-02, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Ranger
Just curious here... is the sound/vid card on-board? Its possible that the sound/vid card is not at full acceleration.

Edit: Also, try lowering the bit rate from 32 to 16 bits and close all other programs in the background like the Antivirus scanner. Change the res to 800x600.
I've disable the intergrated on-board sound card and installed Audigy Gamer. As for the Video, the computer came pre-installed (ATI Technologies Inc. RAGE 128 PRO Ultra GL AGP)

The Audigy Gamer sound card has been updated with the latest driver via Creative's web site.
Old 12-31-02, 12:12 PM
X
Administrator

I wonder if that video card kind of marginal for the job. And if it's not too much trouble I'd completely remove the soundcard from the computer just to see if it's the problem.

There's just too much stuff in XP that can screw up smooth DVD playing. Especially if you didn't build the machine specifically for that purpose. There are lots of background processes that should be disabled (and not just for DVD playback purposes either). Do some looking for sites that explain them and how to shut them down. I have some but not at my fingertips right now.

If the above suggestions don't work I would suggest ghosting your current drive or partition. Or removing the drive. And doing a minimal reinstall of XP and a DVD player. See how it works.
Old 12-31-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think its the card, I'm thinking it may be the sound card. Try the on board sound card. Don't forget to take out the other card.

Maybe he could create a new account and disable MOST of the XP services. Check http://www.blackviper.com on which you don't need. It could really free up some resources.
Old 01-01-03, 11:34 AM

Thanx Ranger for the link. I followed the instructions and tried to turn off as many back ground services as I can. But the problem still there.

Thanx for all the help guys.
Happy New Year to all.
Old 01-01-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

*sighs* Does your TV have a stand alone DVD player, just play the DVDs on that then. Does IE has SP1 also? Which chat room prgrams are you using? Wasn't there a way to set a limit on how much CPU IE can use? Running out of ideas here, try different drivers for the sound card. Try Netscape Navigator.
Old 01-01-03, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Ranger
*sighs* Does your TV have a stand alone DVD player, just play the DVDs on that then. Does IE has SP1 also? Which chat room prgrams are you using? Wasn't there a way to set a limit on how much CPU IE can use? Running out of ideas here, try different drivers for the sound card. Try Netscape Navigator.
I do have stand alone DVD player I do have latest version of IE and all the latest update of Win XP Pro such as SP1....etc

The chat room I go to is at Paltalk.com...me and my friend sing Karaoke in the chat room, and that is when I have problem with my DVD. I guess I just have to minimize the room while I sing until I can have this problem resolve.

Thanx for all the tips/help.