Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Hard Drive Data Recovery?

Old 12-08-02, 10:55 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard Drive Data Recovery?

Any good cheap solutions/suggetions?

The lord hates me and I hate computers.

Okay, so I used to store my data on two seperate drives. Then the first drive crashed and I used the second one instead.

So... the second one crashed yesterday... I don't think the hard drive has completely failed... I'm about 50% sure I can reformat it again, but I don't want to do that until I know all my options.

In the past when I've sent defective drives to IBM, they've sent it back with the data still intact. However, I'm sending it to Maxtor, and I've never sent one in to them before...

I'm probably just buggered, huh?
Old 12-08-02, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the computer can detect the hard drive, you might want to try out Ontrack EasyRecovery DataRecovery. I have used the Ontrack EasyRecovery Professional vresion at work a few times and this software is friggin AWESOME.
Old 12-08-02, 11:40 PM

Let me know if they get ur info back. I have 4,000 mp3s just waiting to be recovered on a Maxtor I DROPPED!
Old 12-09-02, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you dropped it then I doubt you could recover it with software, you probably dislodged one of the plates or messed the head up. That probably calls for professional recovery.
Old 12-09-02, 02:04 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Originally posted by zuffy
If the computer can detect the hard drive, you might want to try out Ontrack EasyRecovery DataRecovery. I have used the Ontrack EasyRecovery Professional vresion at work a few times and this software is friggin AWESOME.
well, I can see the files I want back using the trail software... unfortunately, it won't let me recover data.

and the sfotware is a bit expensive. 200 for the basic version!

found a year subscription for 50 at mcafee.

Last edited by jrobinson; 12-09-02 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-09-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
i have a similar problem...a computer at work has a hd that crashed...it's not recognized by the BIOS, and makes a naughty clicking sound.
Old 12-09-02, 10:23 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

thanks zuffy, got it going! just about 15 hours until it's finished... there are only a few bad sectors, but it seems to be pulling the data out fine.
Old 12-09-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

15 hours?! How big is your hard drive? At work, I was able to scan a 10GB HD in about 20 minutes on a Pentium II 400mhz. Took about 1 hour I think to pull back 2GB of data.
Old 12-10-02, 01:20 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

It's a 120GB 5400 RPM, but it's not that. It's just the hard drive is not up to par... seems to take forever to read 1 kb. The hard drive has failed. For instance, it took about 30 minutes for it to transfer 100 kb. That's the speed I'm going out! some of the stuff shoots right off though... but it seems to get slower each minute...
Old 12-10-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the same problem as you D. Phorlorn, yesterday I was copying something from a disc I burned to my 2nd HD and it just suddenly died and now sits and makes all these obnoxious clicking sounds. I cannot get a DOS version of Scandisk to find it, and if I have it connected to my system Windows will NOT start, just hangs over and over on the startup screen. I believe she is dead, but at least all I have on that drive is MP3s...granted, I have a few thousand of them...

-BlasTech
Old 12-11-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally posted by BlasTech Industries CEO
I have the same problem as you D. Phorlorn, yesterday I was copying something from a disc I burned to my 2nd HD and it just suddenly died and now sits and makes all these obnoxious clicking sounds. I cannot get a DOS version of Scandisk to find it, and if I have it connected to my system Windows will NOT start, just hangs over and over on the startup screen. I believe she is dead, but at least all I have on that drive is MP3s...granted, I have a few thousand of them...

-BlasTech

well, my company has lots of released engineering drawings on them, and of course they don't believe in backup. not only that, but we're not even sure which files were on there exactly.
Old 12-11-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

An option is to try drivesavers.com