Post your TOP 10 Pocket PC Applications/Programs/Utilities

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-08-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I haven't had a pocket pc in quite some time - but I finally got an IPAQ 3835 because I *Needed* the bluetooth

Please post your most recommended Pocket PC applications that I should go download!

This can be basically ANYTHING!

Please post in this thread! Thanks!
Old 12-08-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome to the world of unexploited hardware.

The hardware on PocketPCs is great: fast processor; bright, sharp, hi-res screens, responsive screen input.

Unfortunately, the software simply hasn't kept apace; all of the apps out there feel like they're underexploiting this great hardware. The application base is still very sketchy, so after a few months, you get the feeling that you're using a very overpowered personal organizer.

Causes: Perhaps the most serious cause is lack of memory. There's only so much you can do with 64MB of RAM in which all of your apps must be crammed. (The other reason is a horrific development platform; the development environment feels like a lot of hacks thrown together haphazardly. Blame Microsoft.)

In a couple of years, hopefully the kinks will be worked out, but this is the current state of the PocketPC.

Now then, app recommendations:

<HR>

PeaceMaker Pro: This application lets you share PDA information via infrared with a Palm device. It's shocking that this wasn't built into the OS, but at least it's available.

Microsoft Reader: Be sure to install this document reader and download a few books (Amazon offers them cheaply - $6.00 for a modern text - and many are free.) Aside from pages being very small (every normal page of text takes up about 4-5 pages of Microsoft Reader text), it's extremely useful and comfortable for regular reading.

Resco's File Explorer: A nice Explorer-style interface; has many features that the built-in file explorer lacks. The interface is crowded and clunky, but it's helpful.

RegEdit: Someone out there makes a free RegEdit utility for PocketPC, and it's very useful (and interesting to explore the PocketPC registry, if you're a real geek like me )

PocketTV: If you have the patience and inclination to find and download large movie files for viewing on PocketPC, PocketTV is supposed to be the killer app. Haven't tried it myself, though.

WisBAR/Dashboard: This is a two-application skinning package to allow you to create and use full-functioned themes for PocketPC, as well as change the Today screen. Personally, I find them very "hacky" and clunky to use; but if you have the patience to learn how to use them and find appropriate files, these applications allow rather robust skinning.

Resco's Image Viewer: There are many image viewing applications for PocketPC, and most of them suck. This one is better than most, including the default Pocket Explorer image viewer.

<HR>

If you have specific needs - image editing, games, etc. - be more specific, and we'll make more specific recommendations.

- David Stein
Old 12-08-02, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

David,
Thanks for the recommendations! I don't know of any killer apps that I'm in need yet.. but I'd like to learn more about what internet based apps (when I connect the pda via bluetooth to my cell) I can take advantage of.

Thanks again
Old 12-09-02, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MitzEclipse
I'd like to learn more about what internet based apps (when I connect the pda via bluetooth to my cell) I can take advantage of.
If Best Buy ever decides to stock a Bluetooth iPaq so I can use my warranty/upgrade plan to get it, I'll go the same route and will probably move to the ever-popular Sony T68i.

Be warned, though, that I hear really bad things about Pocket Internet Explorer. In addition to the browser being somewhat limited (forgivably so given the device specs), I've read lots of people griping that the screen size just isn't usable for most web browsing. Plan on doing lots of horizontal and vertical scrolling...

- David Stein
Old 12-10-02, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by sfsdfd
If Best Buy ever decides to stock a Bluetooth iPaq so I can use my warranty/upgrade plan to get it, I'll go the same route and will probably move to the ever-popular Sony T68i.

Be warned, though, that I hear really bad things about Pocket Internet Explorer. In addition to the browser being somewhat limited (forgivably so given the device specs), I've read lots of people griping that the screen size just isn't usable for most web browsing. Plan on doing lots of horizontal and vertical scrolling...

- David Stein
Thanks for the word of caution - that's okay, I'll be suring on Pocket IE friendly sites anyway.

A word of caution for you, beware of the T68i's RF signal, it's extremely poor. Also, the menu's are so slow and unintuitive that it will make you go crazy. I've played with the T68m and the T68i ever since about last year and no significant improvements in the performance.

If you want to learn more about the t68i, go to howardforums.com and click on the Ericsson forum.
Old 12-12-02, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, these guys are Korean, their English sucks but their MP3 player for POCKETPC rocks. I mean rocks. It is basically WINAMP for the Pocket PC.

http://www.citsoft.net/product.asp?lang=ENG&menu=S

I use it everyday to work, and no problems. They also update the software...