Reload this Page >

Need advice for connecting internal scsi

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-06-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got a new 50 pin internal ribbon after my old one was ripped through by one of the connectors. I plugged it this way, 1 end into the cdr, 1 empty connector and the other end in the scsi controller. Should it work that way or should I use the connector in the middle closest to the other connector? I do have a second scsi device but I can't plug it in because I had to use it's power cable to plug into the Voodoo card in that pc.

Does it make a difference what connector I use? For now it detects the drive but it won't read anything, the light just stays on constantly.

I'm reinstalling the driver now and switching connector if that fails, but I'd like feedback if possible.
Old 12-06-02, 09:22 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
It shouldn't make a real difference, although leaving some cable hanging out past the termination isn't a real good idea.

I'd use the end connector as it appears you did.
Old 12-06-02, 09:28 PM

Trying to install drivers, but my floppy on that pc is dead and my network doesn't work right now, possible because I'm online, because it normally works.

I'm stumped, it's given me problems constantly for the past couple of years, but I really don't want to buy a new burner just yet.
Old 12-06-02, 09:29 PM

Other question, does it have to be a specific SCSI id if it's only the one device? SCSI bios is on 15, burner on 6 (I think cdrom was on 2).
Old 12-06-02, 09:43 PM
X
Administrator

Nope. Not if you're not booting off it.

You could try setting it to 0 just for grins. What's your SCSI adapter?
Old 12-06-02, 09:53 PM

Asus PCI 875x or something like it.

Now its not detecting the burner again, floppy was unplugged, plugged it back in, now light is always on but still doesnt work (does the cable go the opposite way than the rest? Not the power supply cable, the ribbon)

hello hassle... I should just buy an ide burner...
Old 12-06-02, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
And what OS you use? Maybe the event viewer could give some cluses. I know what you're going thru. SCSI adaptors give me such headsches. Have you tried another cable? Swapped around the connectors some more? Can't you download the driver for the adpator if the floppy's dead?
Old 12-06-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Swap it back around if light stays on. Happened when I did that to a floppy drive few months ago.
Old 12-06-02, 10:05 PM

I run windows 98se on that pc, and it did work until I stuck a new video card in there.

giving up for now, switched driver, connector, etc... but it just wont work! argh... I'll try again tommorow
Old 12-06-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, win98=No event viewer.

I once tried this weird thing with a scsi scanner that kept frozing up, I went into the BIOS and enabled "Plug and Play OS", the damn scanner actually worked after that. I'm serious.
Old 12-06-02, 10:35 PM
X
Administrator

I can't even imagine using SCSI with Win98. Seems like pretty much anything could happen.
Old 12-07-02, 07:31 PM

there we go, got it working today, switched cable for floppy around (for whatever reason it goes the opposite way), plugged both devices by unplugging one hard drive (I'll have to change that though, that harddrive still needed), installed original 1996 drivers and it works now. (also got the network back up that was not working).