Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Computer's too damn loud now! I think I'll get a new PSU (250+watts)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-04-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

System is
533celeron
448MB SDRAM
30GB Maxtor
ATI Rage 128 XPERT
AOpen 16x DVD drive (Loud also, may change to Liteon/Toshiba drive later)
Liteon 40x CD Burner
Aopen 250 watts PSU and stock cpu fan

Lately, the PSU has been really loud and the computer has been vibrating all the time. So I figure the fan in the PSu is going bad. I don't really want to mess with the PSU. So I'm hoping that a new PSU will quite things down. I plan to stick with this sysyem for at least another year and am not going to upgrade it any further so

I just need a 250+ watts PSU.
I'm looking at the 300watts Sparkle PSU for $27 from newegg. Specs are:
Sparkle Power 300 Watt Switching Power Supply for P4 Processors, FSP300-60ATVS
Specifications: High efficiency, Internal 12 VDC fan included,Low noise and ripple Short circuit protection on all outputs
MTBF above 50,000 hrs. at 25 C
Overload Protection: 150% Max.
Maximum power: 300W
Dimensions(WxHxL):5.9"x3.4"x5.5" -OEM

What you think about this one?
Only other one that looks worthy is the pricey Antec Trupower 330w psu for $47. I think that'd be overkill. I only have a newegg acct so I'm limited to that.

For your convenient
http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactor...alog=58&DEPA=0
Old 12-04-02, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for that system I would get the $27 Sparkle Power supply.

down the line the 330 might be too small anyway so why spend the additional money for this system.
Old 12-04-02, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

www.tomshardware.com did a review of a bunch of PSU's recently....
Old 12-04-02, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

*sighs* I can't make up my mind. I really want a quiet dependable PSU. I'm actually thinking about going for the Emermax 350Watts PSU for $47.

Specs.
ENERMAX EG365P-VE(FM). 350W Power supply for AMD K7 & Pentium4. Meet ATX 2.03 & ATX +12V 1.1 Version. Pentium 4 supported ! Compliant with AMD K7. Gold plated connectors provide perfect conduction. Dual fan design of E type PSU and all with thermal control function. +5Vsb output current 2.2A output. Cable tube tied design for neatness. Noiseless & High MTBF.

This actually includes a power cord I was lookign for too. Have I lost my mind?
Old 12-04-02, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, since we're talking powersupplies, I currently have the ENHANCE ENP-0735 P4 350 WATT ATX POWER SUPPLY. It is a fantastic power supply but its like a lawn mower is stuck under my desk. The reviews on Newegg suggest to either "re-wire the fan to the 5V line instaed of the 12 " or "rip the fan out and replace it with a panaflo". What do you guys suggest to quiet this beast? Where can I find instructions? What's quieter? Thanks.

Old 12-05-02, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://directron.com/silence.html

Wait, look there http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_slowfan/

Last edited by Ranger; 12-05-02 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-05-02, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my first advice would be to get a can of compressed air and take your computer outside (or to a garage, etc) and blast the heck out of the fans and the inside of your computer/PSU. that may solve part of the noise problem.

panaflo fans are also a good suggestion. they are MUCH quieter than most case fans and still move a pretty decent amount of air. it would be worth it to buy a few and replace your current fans (then if you still need to buy a new PSU, your computer will still be quieter) :>

i'm not familiar with the 533 celeron, but if it has a heatsink on it (and isn't a slot processor) you can probably use an adaptor to replace the 60mm fan with a quieter 80mm fan, such as a panaflo. the adaptors usually run around $6.

you can get panaflos at bgmicro for $3.19 each (flat rate shipping $6).

here is an example of a 60mm to 80mm adaptor. I've used kdcomputers before and was very satisfied (but you can get these lots of places).

(edit: one thing I'll note is that the bgmicro fans come without screws to attach the fan to the case, but they're about half the price of panaflos many places)

Last edited by Eeyore; 12-05-02 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-05-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, Eeeyore! Cleaning out the PSU is a good idea, but however I forget to mention another issue i was having eih this PSU. It will freeze if i raise the FSB to 100, I have to unplug it to get the new settings to work. I'm running at 66FSB now. I've been told that some older PSU have a bug where it doesn't allow itself to reset after FSB speed changes. The cpu fan is quiet, its the PSu that's making all the noises, trust me.

I may also get some foam padding for the case panels to reduce vibration as well.
Old 12-06-02, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Eeyore
my first advice would be to get a can of compressed air and take your computer outside (or to a garage, etc) and blast the heck out of the fans and the inside of your computer/PSU. that may solve part of the noise problem.

panaflo fans are also a good suggestion. they are MUCH quieter than most case fans and still move a pretty decent amount of air. it would be worth it to buy a few and replace your current fans (then if you still need to buy a new PSU, your computer will still be quieter) :>

i'm not familiar with the 533 celeron, but if it has a heatsink on it (and isn't a slot processor) you can probably use an adaptor to replace the 60mm fan with a quieter 80mm fan, such as a panaflo. the adaptors usually run around $6.

you can get panaflos at bgmicro for $3.19 each (flat rate shipping $6).

here is an example of a 60mm to 80mm adaptor. I've used kdcomputers before and was very satisfied (but you can get these lots of places).

(edit: one thing I'll note is that the bgmicro fans come without screws to attach the fan to the case, but they're about half the price of panaflos many places)
Wow that is a great price on the panaflo fan! Like I stated in my previous post I have a 350 watt enhance psu. My processor is an Athalon XP 1800+. If I bought the panaflo, how would I go about swapping it with the one in my psu and what other tools/materials would I need?

Old 12-06-02, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by schizopak
If I bought the panaflo, how would I go about swapping it with the one in my psu and what other tools/materials would I need?
Disclaimer: I've never swapped a PSU fan, although I've thought about it quite a few times.

Here's a page that gives basic info on how to replace a PSU fan. You can probably find more detailed info on google if you're so inclined. One thing you do want to consider is how much air your old fan moves (CFM) and compare it to the new fan... you probably don't want a huge disparity or you might burn up your power supply.

Edit: received my order from BGMicro today. the connectors need to be slightly trimmed for most motherboards (2 pin connector instead of 3), but they are a great deal--3 days from order to my door.

Last edited by Eeyore; 12-06-02 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-07-02, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dammit! I changed my mind again and decided to hold off getting the new PS. I got the adaptor and fan.

http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/736.htm
Vantech STealth Fan 80mm.
http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/804.htm
Akasa Black fan adaptor 60/80mm.

I also will definitely line the case with the foam packaging pads. Will do all this in a couple of weeks after i finish finals.
Old 12-17-02, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Aw!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The heasink's too small (probably 50mm) even for the 60mm adaptor!!!!!!!!! I'll try the air compressor thing next! I'll still hold on to the adaptor for my next rig, I wish I could build up some confidence to strip the old fan in the PSU out but I'd hate to mess with the wiring, last time I did, they started burning but I foolishly forget to use electricial tape.

I'm trying to find another heatsink that'll fit. If all else fails, I'll get the new powersupply.
Old 12-17-02, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yuck, i didn't realize that a 50mm fan was a possibility with those celerons.

aside from the fact that the current heatsink only holds a 50mm fan, is there plenty of room around the cpu for a bigger heatsink, or are things pretty cramped?

if there's room, you could just buy a heatsink that will hold an 80mm fan, or get a 60mm heatsink and use the adaptor you already have.

This heatsink at SVC is only $4.99 and might do the trick nicely. They are another great store for cooling equipment and have lots of other choices that are reasonably priced. I think that the heatsink I linked to would work for a celeron 533, but you might want to confirm that before spending more money following my advice :>

(Maybe someone else knows: Are heatsinks for sockets 370 and socket A always interchangable? I think they are, but want to make sure)

The adaptor isn't too much of a waste--if you don't use it now you can definitely use it in a future computer, or impress a friend by making their computer much quieter when you replace their cpu fan.
Old 12-17-02, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, Eeyore. Isn't the Celeron a socket A 370? This mobo accepts PIII chips too. Yeah, there's still some room in the case but not for use of the fans as a stand alone, its too big to clip it on the backwall. I'll measure the base for the heatsink when I get home. I'm sure that a bigger HS will fit. I hope I'll have time to get an air compressor but I don't know how much that'll help. But I'm sure that the foam packaging will definitely help.

Yeah, I'm looking at getting a bigger heatsink. That one isn't bad, what about those http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1 The $6 set is 32 dBA.

I do think I will upgrade this computer some more in the future to justify the extra cost.
Old 12-17-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm pretty sure socket A = AMD athlon/duron, socket 370 = pentium 3/celeron

those heatsinks you linked to still only take a 60mm fan. an 80mm fan will be quieter for the amount of air it moves. you should definitely pay attention to the noise (dBA) but also the CFM (i'm sure someone knows exactly what it stands for, but the higher the more air it moves )

the stealth 80mm fan you got moves 27CFM and is only 21 dBA. the little fans in your link were 32 dBA and 17.3 CFM--noisier and less effective. also, the $6 set appears to be for p4, which I'm not sure if it'll fit on your chip.

if you get a heatsink with a fan on it, i'd more or less ignore the fan and focus more on the heatsink, because ANY 60mm fan is going to be noisier than the stealth fan you already have. so you can either stick the fan directly on the new heatsink (if it accepts 80mm fan) or use the adaptor you already have.
Old 12-17-02, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't measured the base yet but I doubt that an 80mm heatsink will fit, I think I might just be able to fit in a 60mm hs, look at the $4 one in my newegg link. See how it says Socket A/370 on the first pic, so you're right, they are interchangeable.

I know the fan for this HS is 38dBA but I should be able to use the adaptor and the stealth fan easily. What are the dimensions on the HSF you linked, it doesn't seem to say.

Last edited by Ranger; 12-17-02 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-17-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure of the dimensions--but it should be ~60mm wide at the bottom and 80mm wide at the top... (not helpful, I know) I didn't link that particular heatsink for any reason other than it was cheap and looked like it would work--there are definitely hundreds of others that will work. The $4 newegg one looks fine.

If the 80mm heatsink won't fit, make sure that the 60 + 80 adapter will fit, although having it further off the motherboard with the adapter should give you more clearance.
Old 12-20-02, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, just used the air compressor on the PSU and HS fan. Didn't help much, wasn't that much dust to start with anyway.

As for the heatsink base, it looks like the width is only 50mm and the length (side with clip-ons) is just aboout 60mm. Will order that 60x60mm heatsink and sparkle PSU from newegg and hope the stealth'll fit.

Will try the foam padding soon.
Old 12-20-02, 10:20 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by schizopak
Ok, since we're talking powersupplies, I currently have the ENHANCE ENP-0735 P4 350 WATT ATX POWER SUPPLY.

My processor is an Athalon XP 1800+.

Hey, I have the same PSU and the same CPU. And yeah, mine is super loud too.

But ... I don't mind it. At least I can tell from the next room whether my computer is on or not.
Old 12-30-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by namja
Hey, I have the same PSU and the same CPU. And yeah, mine is super loud too.

But ... I don't mind it. At least I can tell from the next room whether my computer is on or not.
dude, you got to stop cramping my style. my problem is that i sleep in the same room as my computer and although i'm used to it, its still pretty rough. I switched out the fan in the powersupply with a panaflo and it went from a "roar" to a "slightly softer but negligible difference roar". Plus my CPU is running pretty hot. I'm getting 60 degrees right now. I know that's within limits but it doesn't seem healthy...
Old 12-30-02, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

alright you guys have hit upon a topic ive been researchin heavily recently

check this thread out

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...hreadid=940230