Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for email service providers ...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-01-02, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am tired of the junk mail coming to my hotmail account and am outgrowing the free space given by yahoo. Hence was thinking of getting a paid account with the best features. The three services that I am comparing are:

* Yahoo Mail Plus http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/ - not sure if I can downgrade to free service in future ..
* uReach.com http://www.ureach.com excellent features but a bit pricey
* runbox.com http://www.runbox.com lot of space and relatively cheap but I read somewhere on their web site that they are looking for financing - scared that they go down as soon as I pay them.

I had a visto.com account but visto went down, usa.net started charging, one my dsl isp also closed .... so basically I am also looking for a long term, stable email service provider.

The cost varies from $30 to $70 a year. Any suggestions for other paid email services? One problem that I am having is that my job involves relocating quite often and therefore I don't stick to one ISP whose email services I could keep using.

The features that I compiled are:

1. Address book export/import or sync with outlook
2. Virus scan
3. big storage
4. Address book via phone
5. Search
6. Custom folders and nesting possible
7. Multiple message forwarding
8. POP, SMTP, IMAP access
9. File attachment size and total # of attachments
10. File uploading and storage
11. SMS-service for mobile phones,
12. Auto-reply
13. No advertising or banner attachments
14. Select from address
15. # of Filters and # of blocked addresses
16. No account expiration – for e.g if you don’t log in to your hotmail account in a month it is deactivated or something …
17. Bigger message size limit.
Old 12-02-02, 09:07 AM

I've been very happy with runbox since they switched to pay service (it was a little unreliable before that). I've been using runbox for a couple years now -- over a year on the pay service. They have many of the features you're looking for -- I'd be glad to discuss it in more detail with you if you'd like. Oh, and I checked into the financing thing (scared me a little bit there) and it sounds like the money is more to expand than to keep their current operation going, so it doesn't seem like they're in major trouble:

runbox enters into agreement with major Norwegian TV company and is seeking funding

runbox has entered into an agreement with major Norwegian private TV broadcasting company TV2 as can be seen on runbox Norwegian site www.runbox.no. TV2 will promote runbox extensively in their internet, text TV and TV channels. runbox and TV2 will split revenue from customers in the Norwegian market. "This is a major breakthrough for runbox and ensures us financially long term. We will now be able to deliver even better serive to all customers world wide." says runbox Founder and CEO Hans J Lysglimt.

runbox is now seeking international partners to promote runbox similar to TV2 and split revenue in local markets country by country. runbox today has paying customers in more than 100 countries world wide. Interested? Please contact us at [email protected]

runbox is now seeking funding for further developement of the Runbox Mail Manager platform. runbox has a steadily growing number of paying subscribers requesting ever new features and extensions to the runbox service. runbox is now seeking USD 200 000 - 500 000 in funding for developement. Interested? Please contact us at [email protected]
There is a forum dedicated to runbox where you might be able to gain some more insights.

Another possibility is FastMail -- I don't have any direct experience with them, but many people seem to be happy with them. If you click on "Compare Plans" they give you a rundown of what is offered at different account levels. And there is a forum for FastMail on the same site as the runbox forum.

HTH.
Old 12-02-02, 08:12 PM

Alyxstarr - Thanks for the info. Glad to know that Runbox is a good service. Sorry to have given you a fright but it is like once bitten, twice shy for me ... so am a little careful. I didn't know about FastMail seems to have good features and good prices.

Thanks for all the info.

Regards.
Old 12-02-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Moving to Computer Forum

Suharsh, for the price range you're looking at you can purchase a domain name and get a year's hosting. Much more control over your email, plus you can make a website if you like.

Reccomendations:

Registrar: www.godaddy.com
Webhost: I use www.phpwebhosting.com but is a bit more than you want to spend on just email. Probably www.dixiesys.com. Search for site host in the computer forum you'll find multiple threads.