Reload this Page >

Adobe Premiere 6.5 vs Pinnacle Studio 8

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-01-02, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm looking for a good DV editing program, and these two seemed to be the best choices... Why is Premiere so much more money that Studio 8? What kind of features does it include that S8 doesn't? If anyone has experience with one or both of these programs, I'd love to hear it.
Old 12-01-02, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have premiere 6 and i don't like it... so much so that i'm actually considering getting a mac!

if you don't need all the high falutin' abilities of premiere (non-pro), maybe you should just get one of those more basic programs like studio DV (which i think won a pcmag comparison...)

http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,4148,4835,00.asp
Old 12-01-02, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never liked Premiere and haven't tried PS8. At work, I use Final Cut Pro on a G4. You may want to look into Avid Xpress DV v3.5 from Studica.com.
Old 12-01-02, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Studio is actually very accessible. It's very much a consumer level tool that will allow an inexperienced user to start working with it very quickly. It's interface is patterned after more of a wizard paradigm where you are led through the process of capture, edit, titling, etc. It's got enough functionality where most users can get their home video's looking pretty slick with fancy transitions and basic titling.

Premiere has always fancied itself much more of a pro tool. It's going to be much more difficult for an inexperienced user to get up and running with it. But Premiere also offers much more functionality and is much more flexible.

In a way it's sort of like the difference between something like Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop. On the surface, the two appear to have much the same functionality, but the latter has features and functionality that are absolutely indispensible to the pro.
Old 12-01-02, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, I've been on the original Studio DV for a while now, and it is very easy to work with, but I'm looking for more features... Studio 8 seems to offer a lot more features, but I was just wondering what the extra advantages are to Adobe... As someone said, on the surface they seem quite similar. I can't seem to find any indication that Premiere has features that make it that much better. I'm hoping someone can give me actual examples. Thanks
Old 12-01-02, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not sure, but I believe the difference is probably in things like time codes and device control. I don't think most people who are making home videos would use time code or need their NLE app to control a Betacam deck.
Old 12-02-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Premiere because it lets me do everything I want to do. If there's something I want to do I can usually do it in Premiere. I had Pinnacle back in 1996 and was very limited in the amount of things I could do. Studio 8 is most likely better and feature filled, but I've since grown accustomed to Premiere, After Effects and Photoshop.

My friend, who is a professional editor, keeps trying to get me to use Final Cut Pro. That would necessitate me getting a Mac and I don't have those kinds of funds. I build my own PCs so I'm able to afford the software. Plus, I would want a G4 and there's no way I can afford that in the near future. My editor friend says the pros only use Avid Composer or Final Cut Pro. I asked if I could learn Avid Composer by using Avid Xpress and he says don't even bother. (He's a little biased).

For me (a non-pro) Premiere is fine. I got the classroom in a book and was editing in a day. Lots of cool stuff.

You can use pretty much any program to edit. 90% of your edits should be cuts and 9% should be fades. (I read this in a book somewhere and am repeating it from memory, but every rule can be broken.) Almost any video editing program should be able to accomplish this. The other 1% is everything else like color correction, wipes, image manipulation, special effects, etc.

What you want to do is what really necessitates which program to get. You also have to consider the cost of the extra features and if you really need them. Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-02, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Heres' PS8 for $9.99 after a $50 rebate.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...96&STARTPAGE=1