Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

LCD pixel question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

LCD pixel question

Old 11-26-02, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCD pixel question

Hi, I just purchased a 17inch LCD from Dell and would like to test for the dead pixels.
I tried to do a search for the link to the program in this forum but could not find it. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it very much.

I remember reading about it a while back.

Thanx in advance.
Old 11-26-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since most dead pixels show up as white “dots”, I set the screen-saver option to “blank” screen to provide a “black canvas” in which to view the dead pixels.

I clicked on “Preview” to force Windows XP Pro to run the screensaver.

I counted the “white dots” that appeared.
Old 11-26-02, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the reply BigPete. I did as your post and could not see any white dot. Is it possible to have a LCD monitor without a single dead pixel ?

I remember reading a thread discussing about it and there was a program to test the LCD for dead pixels... ring a bell anyone ?

Thanx.
Old 11-26-02, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All the programs I could find were for Mac since they have been pushing LCD screens for quite a bit longer. Maybe someone else would have better luck finding the PC program.

And yes, it is very possible to get a LCD with no dead pixels ... i dunno what the odds would be, though.
Old 11-26-02, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have two that failed black on my 19" LCD. I can't find them unless I have an all white screen.

I think you are looking for this:
http://freepctech.com/rode/004.shtml
Old 11-26-02, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's not unusual to get a perfect LCD display, though it does get less likely the larger the screen. Most 15" and under screens I've seen lately have all been perfect.

Anyway, I'm not sure what a program would do, but the way I test it is by simply changing the background color for the Windows desktop.

Go into desktop properties, make sure there's no background picture selected, then change the background color to black. Close the dialog and minimize all windows and that should leave you with a mostly black screen. If there are any pixels that are stuck on, they will be readily apparent. You can check under the icons and task bar by moving them.

Then repeat the process, but with an all white background. Note that sometimes an LCD may be perfect when brand new but a pixel or two will become stuck after a little while. There's really not a whole lot you can do about it.

Last edited by belboz; 11-26-02 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-26-02, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My 19" LCD looks fine. No dead pixels that I can find.
Old 11-27-02, 12:15 PM

Thanks for all the responds. I guessed it is possible to have a LCD without dead pixel

I do have another question though, is it normal for the LCD screen to looks like it is curved-in in the middle ?

For those of you who have purchased the LCD monitor from Dell, did you receive anything else beside the monitor and driver CD. I thought that I supposed to have some kind of warranty form to fill out and send it in...!
Old 11-27-02, 01:00 PM

I have a dell 19" LCD (rebadged Samsung). I have 1 dead pixel on the upper left corner where "FILE" command button is on most programs. This is not a big deal since it's out of the way. My dead pixel only appears as a grey dot on WHITE background.