Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help with buying a pc notebook

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-18-02, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a crappy compaq destop but I am a writer and want something I can take with me; something portable.

I am really getting turned on to the Apple Ibook. Is this a good purchase? Any pro's or con's with it? any other suggestions?

thanks
Old 11-18-02, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First, what is your price range?

Do you plan to use the laptop as a replacement of the desktop too?

What is the most weight you're willing to deal with before you say it's too heavy?

What features are you looking for?
Old 11-18-02, 11:00 PM

Well since I will be financing I would say that about 1500 will be the top range of my money spectrum.

The lighter the better. Thats one of the plus of the ibook I guess; i hear it is almost feather light and also thin.

I am not too picky on my features. I just need something mobile because I want to be able to write in more places than my apartment and be able to take it to my bed at night to do work.

I am not a game fanatic but want to be able to play some games on my laptop.

My current pc is also very slow and it annoys the heck out of me so I do want something fast although I do not necessitate that it be lightning fast. (I hear that the Ibook's processing speed is one of its shortcommings???)
Old 11-18-02, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, I do not know a thing about Apple computers.

I have a Sony VAIO SR7K... very small and light weight. It's quite old now Check out the Sony VAIO SRX Series
Old 11-19-02, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try the Dell series of laptops.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/produc..._notebooks.htm
Old 11-19-02, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would highly recommend the Compaq Evo and Armada series. I especially like the ones with built in WiFi, or you could buy a WiFi card, but wifi is essential.
Old 11-19-02, 06:40 AM

I have tried Dell, Apple, Compaq, HP, and IBM laptops. I had the Apple Powerbook G4 for just over a month before I ended up getting rid of it. Granted I hadn't used an Apple in over 4 years prior, but I still wasn't too impressed with it. It was nice and light and very portable, but not much of a powerhouse when it came to running apps. I tried running a Windows emulator (to run certain programs) and the thing was ridiculously slow). It always seemed to lag behind in comparison to my now Dell Inspiron 8100. Also, I didn't like the layout of OS X that much. I ended up switching back to OS 9 because I was so much more comfortable with that type of apple environment.

In terms of the other laptops I tried, HP is CRAP! Do not even think about getting them. Compaq was nice and portable and had the best dvd playback and best sounding speakers, but the computer crashed 3-4 ties with 24 hours brand new out of the box. IBM are a very solid machine, but also very expensive. Dell, which I ended up getting, had given me no problems to date. I used to use it all the time for business travel. It is a little on the heavy side, but for the power and performance you get out of it, it was worth it. Therefore, I would suggest Dell. However, I have also heard that Toshiba can be good too. Look into these two brands and you should be very happy. Haven't been too impressed with friends' newer Sony Vaios. Supposedly the older ones are much more stable and better performers than the newer ones, however, I do not have direct experience with them. Hope this helps.

Things to think of when buying a laptop. how much memory do you need? Do NOT buy the memory from the dealer as they charge you way too much; buy the minimum you need and then buy the rest online somewhere (www.pricewatch.com). Do you need/want a DVD player or CD-RW? I bought the combo drive, but haven't really used teh CD-RW drive too often. On occassion it has come in handy, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. Screen size (important), hard drive size (desktop replacement or just for writing papers and what not), touchpad or eraserhead trackpoint (often overlooked). Most people have a preference either way. Dell is nice cause they have both types on a lot of their laptops. That's all I can think of for now and that should be plenty for you to chew on. Good luck on your purchase.
Old 11-19-02, 12:32 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you really like the iBook you should head out to a nearby Apple Store for some hands on fun. That'll really help you decide whether or not it's the one for you. You should definitely go out to some computer stores (or Best Buy) and look at some laptops firsthand.

-BT
Old 11-19-02, 01:45 PM

Wow a lot of people are switching to laptops. Hmm...anyways.

The biggest concern when buying an iBook isn't the physical system (It's nice) but the OS. You have to try the new Apple OS (OSX). Some like it some don't.

Also, how light do you want it? < 5 lbs? That means max screen size of most laptops that light is 12 inch. Can you handle that? Or do you want something heavier with a bigger screen size? < 6 lbs? The Compaq line is nice, though the HP one seems too big for what you want it for. Also I definately recommend the Dells. Inspiron 4150 might suit your needs. It's a nice compromise between power and weight/size.

You can get some good reviews @ http://http://computers.cnet.com/har...6.html?tag=dir

Kermy
Old 11-19-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a suggestion. Check out the Vaio PCG-VX88. It weighs in at 4lbs and carries a 14'' TFT. There are several different flavors with minor differences. I chose it over Dell, Toshiba, and IBM because of how it looks, feels, and performs. I migrated over from Dell because the last notebook I was using (Dell Inspirion 3700) felt cheap. The plastic casing was loose and squeaked whenever I moved the notebook around. Dell might have some decent desktops, but I found there notebooks to be quite poor -- feature-rich, perhaps, but the overall "feel" was that I paid too much for it.

I like the Vaio I am using now. The reasons I chose it was because it carried a 14'' TFT despite it's 4lb weight. Did I mention it was thin, too? Combined with a great battery life, I take my Vaio everywhere with me -- something I would not consider with the Dell. I can use the notebook through 4+ hours of lecture on a single charge. I don't even bother to bring the power supply anymore. There is a built-in WiFi, which was important since I run a wireless network at home, and comes with most of the standard connections. However, I should mention (as this is a turn off to some) that the bundled CD-RW/DVD-ROM is external. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it at first, but I've noticed that I barely use it. I found the 30GB HD was ample room for my MP3 and MAME collection. Again, the lack of an internal CD-RW/DVD-ROM is a turn off to some people, but it never bothered me much. I like the Vaio because it has a solid construction feel to it. It's not without it's faults though. The maximum resolution is 1024x768 because of the graphics chip (Intel), and it lacks an S-video plug. Also, DO NOT PURCHASE FROM SONY STYLE. The notebook is great, but the customer service at the store is terrible. I recommend going through Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.

Again, choose a notebook that fits your needs. I dabble in some photo-editing and some games. However, I use it to surf the web, word-processing, and recording lecture audio in class.
Old 11-19-02, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree about the Dell laptops, most feature rich for the price but the feel of the laptop is cheap and heavy imo. In a former employer, I had 2 Compaq laptops. They are heavy, slow, and easily breakable (both laptops, the LCD died).

It seem like the IBM X series fit your need but it's pricey. Alternative is the Sony VAIO SRX series. I don't know about you, but I really like my laptop to be 3.5lb or under and give decent performance.
Old 11-19-02, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tablet PC anyone?Saw them at sale in Tokyo.It's way too light and has very good battery life and the screens are very good.
I liked the Toshiba models.Btu if you are going to get a notebook with that budget better get a Dell!
Old 11-21-02, 04:05 PM

If you have an Apple Store in your area I would recommend taking a look there before making your final decision. The new OSX operating system is gorgeous, and it seems like the only people who don't like it are the ones who have already become comfortable with OS 9 (and earlier) Apple operating systems.
Old 11-23-02, 06:42 PM

A BIG vote for Dell!
Old 11-23-02, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
if you get a sony backup to something external frequently
they frequently get unmountable boot volume errors which require a format with the recovery cds
an actual XP cd could fix it with the recovery console but recovery cds don't work that way
Old 11-23-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've had a bunch of issues with a Sony Viao I use at work (probably 1.5-2 yrs old) I was shy away from Compaq's. Dell I have had success with, pretty good for the $$. I'm not sure what gateways are going for, but you might be able to find a good deal. IBM's are nice, but pricey.

-pedagogue
Old 11-24-02, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Toshiba just launched a new line of notebooks.The G series is great!It has even a dvd-r drive!And 2 optical drives like the Dell Inspiron 8000 series!