Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone have info on MP-3 books?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Anyone have info on MP-3 books?

Old 10-19-01, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audible is good and legal, but you have to run total recorder to convert them into unencripted mp3.

Look into [We don't talk about places to illegally obtain copyrighted materials here. -X]. They are into mp3 books too.
Old 02-06-02, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been using Audible for over a year and I like it. However, my MP3 player is not compatible with their software so I use Goldwave to convert the audible files to MP3s. It works great, you can choose your own bitrate, and is much faster that Total Recorder.
Old 04-30-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, I used goldwave to turn the audible files into MP3s. Now I want to slice the MP3s into 6 minute segments. Is there a fast way to do this? Most programs I have tried convert the file to wav, then start slicing and many won't do more than 99 slices. Is there a good way to do this?
Old 04-30-02, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by RoQuEr
OK, I used goldwave to turn the audible files into MP3s. Now I want to slice the MP3s into 6 minute segments. Is there a fast way to do this? Most programs I have tried convert the file to wav, then start slicing and many won't do more than 99 slices. Is there a good way to do this?
mp3trim
MPEG Audio Scissors

-Spooon69
Old 04-30-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Spooon69

mp3trim
MPEG Audio Scissors

-Spooon69

mp3 trim tells me that the file is too big by 3929% after loading for 10 minutes. Not what I wanted.
Old 05-07-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is something I have been looking at for some time. The pickins are slim in the newsgroups (at least on ATT's newsgroups) I did manage to get Poisonwood Bible though.

I signed up with Audible while they were doing a local promotion here in Portland last weekend. $15.95 a month for 2 downloads a month, plus a nifty 50 pack of CD-Rs for signing up during the promotion.

I have an MP3 playing CDwalkman and really want to convert these .aa files to MP3.

I have goldwave and MusicMatch 7.1 so, with the shorter titles, I convert the .aa file with goldwave to .wav then use MusicMatch to convert .wav to .mp3. The large files (60-100MB) seem to blow up goldwave every time during the conversion.

The Audible software won't burn to my CD-R drive. I get buffer underruns every time. My computer is a P3 866 with 512MB RAM the CDRW drive is a 16x. I dropped the record speed from 12x to 8x, to 4x down to 1x and still got the error. So, I sent the Audible folks an e-mail with the issue. They recommended switching it back to 12x. Oh well. So much for qualified tech support.

Anyways, Audible has signed a deal to get a new burner from Roxio, this should be arriving on their website in June.

So, any tips on successfully using goldwave?
Old 11-15-02, 02:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

The above posts were a part of this thead in Book Talk.

However, the issues raised were never really resolved. Can anyone here help?

I'll either post a link in the original thread if the questions are answered here or X can just copy the whole thread across at a later date if he likes!

Last edited by benedict; 11-15-02 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-17-02, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll tell you how I solved the problem.

I used the splitter function of
http://www.tranceaddict.com/cgi-bin/...cgi?mp3_cutter

If you want them to be a certain length of time you need the calculator cause it divides by file size, but it works

then you need to use the rename
http://www.herve-thouzard.com/therename.phtml

to name the files back to mp3. Its a bit of work, but you can set up macro programs to do it, and its alot quicker than converting those files into wav and then back again.
Old 12-01-02, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Audible is good and legal, but you have to run total recorder to convert them into unencripted mp3.

Look into [We don't talk about places to illegally obtain copyrighted materials here. -X]. They are into mp3 books too.
Woah! Censoring me more than a year after I post
Old 12-01-02, 07:23 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Woah! Censoring me more than a year after I post
Well, I'd censor you before you posted, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Your thread was recently moved to this forum and I got a report complaining about a link for obtaining copyrighted material. For consistency, if nothing else, I had to remove the link.
Old 01-06-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by X
Well, I'd censor you before you posted, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Your thread was recently moved to this forum and I got a report complaining about a link for obtaining copyrighted material. For consistency, if nothing else, I had to remove the link.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=151032

Muahaha. The secret still resides In the book Forum where it is invincible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..........except that you have are admin not mod............

DOH!